Mr. Dottie Rides My Bikes

If you look closely at the picture below, you will see that both Coco and Betty Foy are locked to the bike rack.  Did I carry one in the other’s basket, you may be wondering.  Surprisingly, no.  I biked on Coco and Mr. Dottie rode Betty Foy because his bike has a mechanical issue that requires a part to arrive in the mail.  In the interim, my bikes to the rescue!

I admit that watching him perched atop Betty (and Oma another day) is pretty hilarious.  Both bikes are fine for men, but are not his style, with his sporty helmet and backpack, and he does not bother to raise the seat.

I tried to ride his Civia Hyland before, but I can’t even stand over the top bar unless I have on high heels and I’m uncomfortable with the aggressive positioning.

Do you ever trade off bikes with your partner?  How does that work?

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Mr. Dottie Rides My Bikes

1. Dave says:

I do, but I do bother to raise the seat :D And seeing as I ride a step-thru Raleigh roadster, switching to an Omafiets or slightly more modern-styled Dutch bike isn’t much of a stretch :)

2. Annie Angello says:

He’s 6 ft, I’m 5’3″.  It’s been tried and it’s just GOOFY

3. ** says:

When she saw her man did Betty rode,
    Her fangs she did not show,
    For  Betty’s  only her two-wheeler steel
    That her Mr Dottie took along the road
    Triggerin’  her spasms of  hilarious squeals. (?)

4. G.E. says:

I love it! I suspect this is easier for couples who are similar in height (as my spouse and I are). We do definitely ride the others’ bike on occasion, but I find that we prefer such different set ups and types of bikes, that unless we’re testing something out, or in desperate need (such as waiting on a part to fix the bike), we tend to ride our own. He actually rides a mixte frame as a city bike, so it’s not much of a stretch to ride the Betty… okay, maybe the red hearts all over it are a bit girly, but I think he is secure enough to not let it get to him. :O)

5. cycler says:

I rode the Scientist’s mountain  bike home from his office two weeks ago, which is pretty interesting because he’s 6’5″ and I’m 5’6″    That bike is a bit small for him, and obviously I had to lower the seat as far as it would go, but it was do-able.  I wouldn’t want to ride a long distance, but for a mile it was fine.  I wouldn’t want to ride his road bike though- too aggressive AND too big.

He has been known to ride my bikes a block or so, but he’s way too big to ride them any distance.

6. Lauren says:

HAHA! I tried riding my guy’s bike recently (with the seat lowered, it’s about the right size – the frame is waaaay too small for him) and I couldn’t even get on it, much less bike around. The top bar was impossible for me to step over, and those road-bikey handlebars are so weird & uncomfortable. Can’t do it, won’t do it!

7. Scott and I swapped bikes once when I wanted to see how my head- and tail lights looked to oncoming cyclists. It was a disconcerting experience for both of us as I’m a few inches shorter than him and we thought that adjusting seat heights for such a short period of time was silly.

8. Scott and I swapped bikes once when I wanted to see how my head- and tail lights looked to oncoming cyclists. It was a disconcerting experience for both of us as I’m a few inches shorter than him and we thought that adjusting seat heights for such a short period of time was silly.

9. Dweendaddy says:

Betty, Betty, under a man!
    We knew Dottie weren’t the only fan
    Why, a good old bike’s just a good old bike
    So of course yours he tends to like

10. It’s pretty much the same for us. I can just barely clear his bikes’ top tubes if I wear platform shoes, but they feel so out of proportion and I have to reach so far that I don’t enjoy it. But he does ride my bikes occasionally, just for the heck of it.

11. steve_a_dfw says:

My wife’s bike is too big for me, but I ride it often anyways. She’s had it since before we met. Someone has to ride it!

12. DavidB says:

Here’s a recent video from Sweetpea Bicycles that deals with the borrowed bike issue:

13. galumph says:

I’ve had a go at my husband’s fixie a few times for kicks. I can *just* reach the peddals without movning the seat (but it’s really not comfortable!); I’m 5’8″ and he’s 6’3″.

14. David P says:

Her bike, a lovely Heron, is a size or two to small for me, but I can fit on it. I can’t fit on it well, since there’s not enough seatpost to get the saddle high enough, but I can ride it, even if I do look a bit like a clown. She’d fit on my primary bike – the sloping top tube would let me get the seat low enough – but she never has, and wouldn’t fit my other two. I’d still like to try getting her on all three, just so that she can get a feel for how different sorts of bikes handle.

15. Van says:

My wife regularly rides my old cruiser  type bikes but with the geometry of these, the top bar height is not really an issue. Our bike club occasionally has a “ladies night” where the men bring out and ride the old girls bikes in their collections.

16. Mr. Dottie is a very lucky man!

17. I have to raise my wife’s seat to the extreme for me to be somewhat comfortable on her comfort bike.  She could not ride my bikes if she tried.  Ok, well the Trek Transport would be a bike she could possibly ride, but that would be pushing it.  She would need a 17″ frame and mine is a 20″ frame.  All my other bikes have a top tube height that she could not even try to straddle.

I do want to get a comfort bike that has an IGH.  Possibly a Dahon or Brompton folder as well.  You have to love the idea of folding up a bike and taking it with you!

18. spandex_speed_racer says:

the cuteness…it burnssssssss ussss.

19. How does it work? Not at all! He’s almost 2 metres tall, I’m 1.70, his bike is huge and mine is tiny (it’s actually a bit too small for me). I suppose he could ride mine if he was really hard pressed, but me riding his is not happening ;).

20. Cyclinmissy says:

If the hubby and I traded bikes, it would be hilarious.  He is 6’4″ and I’m 5’7″.  His bike would be nearly un-ridable to me, and his knees would come up to his chest on my bike.  Maybe we should try it some time!

21. Cyclinmissy says:

22. Robert Rowe says:

My partner (re)-learned by riding my bike while I was building a more appropriately-sized mountain bike for her. Once she got her own bike, we started taking short rides together, but it wasn’t until we got our electric bike (which is a step-through cruiser style frame) that she really started enjoying riding.
    I occasionally ride her bike (the electric), and love the upright posture. She hasn’t ridden my bike since, though.

23. Spencer says:

While my arm was broken this spring my boyfriend would take out my bright orange public M8. To keep her in good working order. He rides a Public D8 so it doesn’t look that out of place. In order to get back on my bike sooner I bought a lovely bobbin birdie but the store that carried them was across town so my sweet boyfriend rode my robin egg blue bobbin birdie home from the store. He looked quite silly on the back of that one I’ll admit.

24. Spencer says: