Summer Treats

As the heatwave continues, I find it’s a good idea to treat myself on the way home every now and then. Keeps morale up.

My usual indulgence is a stop at the grocery store for a cold six-pack or a pint of Ben & Jerry’s (Americone Dream!), but recently I kicked it up a notch. Mr. Dottie and I met at a French bistro for dinner on our way home from work in the middle of the week. Dripping with sweat and hauling our panniers and helmets, we were too excited about the delicious aromas to care whether we fit in with the other patrons.

Here was my reward for biking through a heat wave. Bread, butter and a lillet blonde – parfait! :)

Additional rewards: mussels in white wine, coq au vin, creme brulee. Hells yeah. That certainly gave me the motivation to make it through another sweaty bike commute.

I hope you’re treating yourself! And don’t forget to drink lots of beer water to stay hydrated! ;)

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Summer Treats

1. Lauren says:

creme brulee would motivate me to do anything!

i just found out my local farmer’s market (the one i ride past on my commute home!) stays open until 8 every weekday, so i will be treating myself with some tennessee tomatoes asap!

2. anniebikes says:

My reward when I sweat out the hot commute home is a big margarita, full to the brim with ice – that’s after the 20 oz. of water I gulp during the ride. My husband stops for an ice cream cone after his 15 mile ride homeward. He does a car/bike commute because his mileage is too long.

3. Scott Loveless says:

Beer is full of calories and carbohydrates. Put some in your bidon today!

4. calitexican says:

beer is my favorite sports drink! :)

5. Stephen Hodges says:

I just started the South Beach diet (wife’s idea) a few days ago. God, that bread looks so good…:-)

6. Dave says:

I drink a lot of liquid during the day while I’m at work, so when I get home, I love to treat myself to a cold beer while we’re cooking dinner, and then another while eating it :) Then I’ll have some more water or tea to round off the night :)

If I’m feeling like indulging, some chilled sake, or a gin and tonic with some lime will also do quite nicely :)

7. Elisa M says:

When Anna and I first starting riding together we would always ride to get food. I still use that as a way to get folks to start riding; everything seems better when there is food/beer/cupcakes waiting for you!

8. Sue says:

Yum, some of my favorites. Sounds wonderful.

9. welshcyclist says:

How do you pedal in those shoes?

• Anonymous says:

You put your feet on the pedals and spin them around, just like you would with any other type of shoe.

10. Hells ya! Toronto has a few restaurants where if you don’t show up a little sweaty and carting some bike gear you’ll be in the minority. Mussels and bread and the long way home to burn off the guilt.