ATTN: Betty Foys in the DC area?

If you know someone who owns a Rivendell Betty Foy in the DC/Northern VA area, please respond here.  There is an obviously stolen “antique” Betty Foy being offered for sale.  If I did not live 700 miles away, I would rescue it myself.

Please pass this message on.

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “ATTN: Betty Foys in the DC area?

1. Cathey says:

Sadly, I live nowhere near there either. But I saw someone posted a reply saying the bike was stolen, so hopefully, he won’t make a sale

2. Tom says:

I am a frequent browser of on craigslist. How is it obvious that this bike is stolen?

• Dottie says:

Two things on this particular post: 1) referring to the Betty Foy as “old” and “antique,” which is impossible since the Betty Foy was introduced only 2 years ago. 2) failing to refer to Rivendell at all.

3. mpb says:

Actually, I want to know too- how can you tell if you’re looking at a stolen bicycle? I buy bikes and parts not infrequently on craigslist.

4. CJ says:

In this case, it seems odd that the bike is described as “antique” – an original owner would know better. That’s my two cents.

• CJ says:

Dottie said it better than me. There was a Rivendell bike for sale on C-List near me (can’t remember which one). The owner listed the specs in detail, including how he came to choose the parts for the build and why he was now selling it. He was clearly very well informed about the bike, which made it appear less likely that it was stolen.

• Dottie says:

Yeah, Rivendell owners are really, really, really geeky/into our bikes. We would be all about describing the grips, saddle, etc. Actually, we wouldn’t be selling our Betty Foy in the first place because no one would willingly depart with such a perfect and beautiful bike, unless falling on desperately hard times.

5. Tom says:

Just maybe it was purchased by a man who really wanted his wife to get into biking and bought a Betty Foy because he thought she would be as excited about it as he would.

She had no interest in biking or in him. They split and she wants to get some money for the paperweight in the garage. She knows the bike cost a lot but she doesn’t know why. So she made up some lame description to move the bike. I was once married to such a person.

Or, maybe not. Maybe we could call Grant Petersen.

6. Tom says:

Belay my last. I just read the ad. I googled the seller’s (mike) cell phone and it turns out that it points me to a construction company in Burke.

If this guy is a thief he’s got a lot of brass.

I might put an offer on the bike to check it out. What would be a good price.