Dusk

Dusk is day’s most beautiful time.  If I can manage to bike home in the aftermath of the setting sun, I’m a happy woman, a calmer woman.

20130620-R1-07924-004A

20130620-R1-07924-005A

For comparison, here’s a look at my wintry dusk commute on the Lakefront Trail from a few months ago.  Of course, during winter the dusk arrives a few hours earlier!  The photos above were taken around 8:30 p.m., while the winter ones must have been closer to 4:30 p.m.

For a melancholy take on dusk, I leave you with Carl Sandburg’s “Dreams in the Dusk.”

Dreams in the dusk,
Only dreams closing the day
And with the day’s close going back
To the gray things, the dark things,
The far, deep things of dreamland.

Dreams, only dreams in the dusk,
Only the old remembered pictures
Of lost days when the day’s loss
Wrote in tears the heart’s loss.

Tears and loss and broken dreams
May find your heart at dusk.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Dusk

1. meligrosa says:

yes, sandburg, dusk y dottie – it was only a matter of time
    super. love. this.

2. Thom Wilson says:

Carl Sandburg – truly epic stuff.

Love the last photo, the lakeshore as a shadowline.
    Winter….brrrrrrrrrr….now only six months away.

3. steve_a_dfw says:

Myself – dawn is even better than dusk. Less traffic and it sets the tone for the whole day.

4. Terri says:

Love the photos and reading about your cycling perspective. Much different than my significant other’s. Terri from love2pedal.com

5. Heather says:

Love that dress, love your beautiful photos, love the new web design! Question for you: Do you have someone else take your self-portraits-with-bike, or do use some sort of tripod/other setup for your camera?

• LGRAB says:

Thank you! For this photo, I set the camera down on a low wall and used the self timer. That’s usually what I do (dumpsters also work well), although if my husband is around, I’ll ask him to take the pic. :)

6. Calm, quiet light makes both dawn and dusk lovely hours indeed. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jaclyn says:

This is so lovely. Now I’m wishing my bike commute was longer to truly enjoy dusk. Perhaps I’ll have to arrange more bike rides along the river (in Philadelphia). :)