Watching (a lot of) online beauty videos

This post has absolutely nothing to do with bicycling.

For days I have been wallowing around sick at home. I did not leave the house, let alone ride my bike. Even reading a novel seemed like too much work. This led to me watching literally hours of beauty videos online. Admitting this feels silly, but it’s the truth. I’m not that into makeup, but listening to these women’s voices was oddly comforting and I felt like I was learning something while using very minimal mental energy.

Most YouTube “guru” type makeup people are way too tacky or cutesy for my taste, but here are some that I like very much. If you feel like wasting some time, enjoy!

Lisa Eldridge is the best (and her voice is lovely). She’s a top makeup artist working with the likes of Kiera Knightly and Vogue. She just did a helpful series on foundation basics. I prefer watching the videos via her website, but she also has a YouTube channel.

Sali Hughes is a close second. She is the beauty reporter for The Guardian. Her website is much more than just videos, but she also has a YouTube channel.

Here she is hanging out in Caitlin Moran’s bathroom!

All the others are straight-up YouTubers:

A Model Recommends

Start2FinishMUA

Tanya Burr

Xteener

Even though I’m 31 and have been wearing makeup for years and years, I still feel like I don’t really know what I’m doing. Tell me I’m not the only grown woman who’s fallen into the rabbit hole of online beauty videos. I’ll feel a bit less silly.

Do you have any recommendations I should add to my list? Not that I need to waste more time on this…

Tagged , ,

16 thoughts on “Watching (a lot of) online beauty videos

1. Simply Bike says:

I watched a lot of online hair tutorials a few years back: braiding, top knots, etc, I always lamented the fact that I never learned how to do anything hair-wise and I didn’t know how to french braid my hair, etc. One week on YouTube while bored and stuck inside during winter changed all of that :)

So no, you’re not alone. :)

2. Dottie, this reminds me of a discussion I got in with my roommate, a non-biking Texan who spends quite a lot of time on her makeup and hair. I argued that most of my female friends who bike commute regularly wear little or no makeup on a daily basis. She told me that my friends wear makeup, like foundation, regularly but it’s just too subtle for me to notice. I surveyed several of my female bike buddies and found the truth is somewhere in between. I should write up my findings soon…

• Dottie says:

That would be interesting to read about! I agree with your Texan friend; I think well done daily makeup is subtle enough that it would not stand out as a lot of makeup. My goal with daily makeup (after covering scars) is to look more polished and fresher.

I consider myself someone who does not wear a lot of makeup, but it sounds like a lot once I list it all out. In the attached photo I snapped yesterday morning to demonstrate, I’m wearing tinted spf, foundation, powder, two kinds of concealer, bronzer, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, brow pencil, mascara and lipstick. Sounds like a huge amount, but hopefully does not look like it. I was wearing more than usual because I wanted to look extra polished for a presentation, but I think this is pretty typical for a professional woman.

3. I’ve mostly stopped wearing make-up a couple of years ago, but would like to try looking more polished again. It’s amazing how you can find almost anything in an online tutorial these days!

4. Shawn says:

Just wait until you are 43 :-) I have found that I wear much less make up since I started bike commuting – BUT, I cannot live without blush (the brighter in the pot the better – it is much more subtle than you would think), and lipstick or gloss. As we get older we lose that flush that we love in babies and children, and we have to improvise. I’m still on a quest for the perfect lip/cheek stick myself. The less products I have to carry the better. Having color on my lips and cheeks makes me feel like a new, “younger” woman.

5. donna says:

I have such a girl crush on Lisa and find her so classy and relatable. I, too, watch her simply because her voice is so soothing. I also enjoy the Raeviewer’s youtube channel.

6. meligrosa says:

I love make-up, and have loved make-up for years so I feel is just like most things – it is never too late to explore it. Ads +silly stereotypes make us feel like is just never ‘good’ enough but not true, we know that (20s > diff. story, right?!) Love the videos BTW

Anytime I need some art/body boost +to feed my film hungries I watch 50-70s european films. I mean how can you not fall in love with the pre-mod makeup, cigarettes +some honest cleavage in the Fellini era. That’s why/how I began experimenting in my teens w/the thick eye cat, trust me it looked like I had drawn lines in the dark with an oversized-sharpie marker… something I’d like to think that I’ve mastered throughout the years. Lipstick, mostly nude +still don’t know much about other than dark wine colors ala Winona Ryder in the early 90s. Mostly eye work for me :)

We all need a time (+often a prolonged period) to recharge batteries. I strongly have felt that home +being home takes a rather peaceful, rooted meaning once I entered the 30s, not the same for everyone however. It has been a very quiet time in my life +I have embraced it deeply because I recognize that it is what my mental being needs, more than anything.
    Anyways.

7. meligrosa says:

Anyways.

8. ridonrides says:

they don’t call it art for nothing! i like to consider myself low maintenance and have yet to master doing one “look” very well. i love watching tutorials, but can never seem to replicate what they’re doing. i did the same with tire changing tutorials and decided to leave that up to the professionals.

9. ridonrides says:

10. Megan says:

I love makeup, especially eye makeup. Makeup Allley is good for reviews but can be overwhelming. The beauty blogs I’ve been following lately are The Beauty Department and Carly Cuts My Hair.

As for biking—it never stops me from wearing makeup. I might have to put on lipstick or powder after riding in the rain or winter but overall I do what I normally do. Biking does change my hair a lot. When I cut my hair short it was much easier to style it after taking my helmet off. It’s longer now and I can’t wear barrettes, braid or style it like I’d like to with my helmet. Maybe I’m just not trying hard enough.

11. I am also recently familiar with the YouTube beauty video hole. Mine resulted in two things: Firstly, realising I am not as high maintenance as I thought because even with all the daily scar and blemish disguise plus eyelash and brow enhancement, I still don’t spend an hour contour shading my face into another face. Secondly, falling in love with pin curls! Now I finally have a polished looking special occasion hair style to go with my special occasion makeup. (The same as daily makeup except with addition of eyeliner + lipstick.) And the best part is that you do pin-curls the night before – takes a lot of the frustration out of getting ready for important things.

12. Guest says:

13. I am also recently familiar with the YouTube beauty video hole. Mine resulted in two things: Firstly, realising I am not as high maintenance as I thought because even with all the daily scar and blemish disguise plus eyelash and brow enhancement, I still don’t spend an hour contour shading my face into another face. Secondly, falling in love with pin curls! Now I finally have a polished looking special occasion hair style to go with my special occasion makeup. (The same as daily makeup except with addition of eyeliner + lipstick.) And the best part is that you do pin-curls the night before – takes a lot of the frustration out of getting ready for important things.

14. Marsha says:

I tried looking up make-up bike tutorials and came up empty. So I made one. It’s not too bad: http://youtu.be/M4eh74zbsGM

15. [...] setting up this blog, spent a day sick at home. She spent it watching beauty videos on YouTube and wrote about it in a post. This prompted John of Checkerboard City to write a post about commuting women cyclists and their [...]