20 Miles in a Zac Posen Dress and 4-Inch Heels

On Sunday, I biked 20 miles in a Zac Posen dress and four-inch high-heeled ankle boots.  My day was full, including a trip downtown for a Joffrey Ballet performance and to the Logan Square neighborhood for my friend Sara’s Oscar party.  Getting ready in the morning, I considered throwing on jeans, flat boots and a wool sweater, but decided to stay strong and dress appropriately for the occasions.

The (second-hand) dress conveniently zips all the way down the back from both ends, allowing me to create more leeway from the bottom while on my bike.

photo_2resized

The weather was sunny and 30 degrees.  For the ride, I threw on a cardigan, trench, cashmere scarf, gloves, and winter helmet.  The trench coverage was helpful because the dress did ride up a bit while biking.

00P1020864resized

Once I got downtown, I was able to take the Dearborn protected bike lane for the final mile and a half.  The city has a special snow plow to use for protected lanes and the lane was plowed, but sloppily and some areas were more clear than others.

photo_5

And look!  An SUV parked in the lane.  This was the second one I saw.  The city needs to: 1) create better signage; 2) build real barriers; and 3) ticket these drivers.

photo_3

Okay, back to my happy place…

photo_9resized

The ballet, American Legends, was beautiful and thought-provoking as always, as was the view from my first-row-balcony season ticket seat.  (Thanks, Groupon!)

photo_8resized

Leaving the ballet, I mounted my camera on Betty Foy’s handlebars and made a video of my ride on the Dearnborn protected lane and the connected Kinzie protected lane.  I’ll post the video soon.

The Oscar party was fun (despite the host’s lame “jokes”) and I enjoyed biking home on empty streets at the end of the night, 12 hours after I left.  My dress and heels were fun for the day, but I was happy to change into flannel pajamas.  :-)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “20 Miles in a Zac Posen Dress and 4-Inch Heels

1. LGRAB says:

Cute dress! I tried to watch the Oscars and failed. Even when a misogynist is not hosting, I find them pretty unwatchable. So slow. But I’ll go to a viewing party of anything, as my continued attendance at Superbowl parties can attest (drinks and delicious snacks being an irresistible draw). I’m sure Sara’s party was a blast!

2. grace says:

Love that red trench – and so visible. Fashion and biking are not mutually exclusive as you so wonderfully demonstrate.

• Dottie says:

Thank you! I do love the high visibility of the red trench while biking, although sometimes when just walking down the street, I feel a little too visible. :)

• Dottie says:

3. Outside Time says:

Seth McFarland was terrible. The ‘joke’ about the Kardashians? Is this really what counts as mainstream “comedy” in 2013?

4. John Kirk says:

Seeing you keep going through a Chicago winter has inspired me to do the same in Chicago’s twin city in the UK,Birmingham.

5. I love your dress and red trench! I just got myself a waterproof warm trench from England and am so excited to start cycling with it. My question for you is about tights. Can you talk more about your favorite brands, about sizing, and buying online? thanks!

• Dottie says:

On this day, I wore Hue sweater tights from Nordstrom Rack (my source for discounted tights), but I don’t necessarily recommend them. They really only last one season before getting old and sorta baggy looking. I’m planning on a post about tights soon, but unfortunately I’m still trying to find my holy grail of tights. :)

6. steve_a_dfw says:

An effective solution to the SUV parking would be for Chicago to explicitly allow cyclists to deflate up to one offending tires. And publicize that authority.

• Dottie says:

Ha, but that would possibly result in greasy fingers. I liked the guy on Twitter who said something about keying the car (with an Abus key, naturally). :-) Not that I would really do something like that…

7. georgina ormrod says:

that is an amazing dress & multi-way zips do sound fantastically useful for the cyclist

• Dottie says:

Yes, I was happy about the zip from the bottom. Otherwise, I would not have bought the dress because it would have been nearly impossible to bike while wearing it.

• Dottie says: