Bicycling to Picasso

On Saturday, I visited the Art Institute in downtown Chicago for a lecture on the museum’s new Picasso exhibit.  The outing involved a total of 14 miles of bicycling in 15-20 degree temps.  No big deal.  ;-)  I set out on Betty Foy wearing my new Wolford tights with a dress, trench coat and suede knee boots.

photo_12resized

Unfortunately, once I got going, I realized that I was quite underdressed for the weather, with freezing toes and thighs.

But there was no turning back – all I could do was make the best of the situation, which was not difficult, considering the beautiful surroundings.

photo_11resized

photo_8resized

Despite the chill, I felt great after the 7 mile ride and happy to spend time with my friends Sara, Chika and Glenn.

photo_3resized

The Art Institute is one of my favorite places in the city.  I really should go more often, since I have a membership this year that allows for free admission.

The indoor sculpture courtyard is a must-see during every visit.
photo_9resized

Another favorite sight is Chagall’s American Windows.

photo_10resized
After the museum, we headed through the Loop to have a drink and a bite at Pops for Champagne.  The ride there was lovely, as we got to take advantage of the Dearborn protected bike lane.
photo_4resized

photo_7resized

photo-4
Fortified with food and drink, I enjoyed my freezing but refreshing bike ride home.
photo_5resized
As always, bicycling around made my day out in Chicago twice as enjoyable.  :-)

Did you have a fun outing by bike this weekend?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Bicycling to Picasso

1. Gladys Cano says:

I had a great weekend. I went to J.C. Lind to check out their bikes.(Jon and the whole crew were great) My Diamondback bike finally gave up. So now I have a great excuse to buy a Dutch. I think I am going to end up buying a Gazelle Basic. (still researching) Any thoughts? It will be my first upright seated position bike.

• Dottie says:

Exciting! I’m not super familiar with the Gazelle, but from what I know, it’s a solid and beautiful bike. Do you have more details on what kind of bike your seeking, how far you want to ride it, etc? I have some opinions… :) You can email me at LGRAB@letsgorideabike, if that’s easier.

• Dottie says:

2. janinedm says:

I don’t come here often, so forgive if I’m telling you about something you already know about. But Sock Dreams is a great source for cute wool thigh-high socks. They’re cute socks too, in that the site caters to the harajuku/goth girl looking for striped socks crowd. I’m always cold, so I wear them in any temperature below 40, but even the most hardcore would need them for 20 degree weather. The best part is they’re as warm as pants but you can just push them down as you warm up (if you’re wearing a skirt).

3. Darling, you look FABULOUS! Love the hit of colour!

Yes, I took the boys out for a cross-town trip to the movies, with a stop on False Creek on the way home…

4. Sarah W. says:

Great museum! Love those protected bike lanes.

5. Jennifer in Scotland says:

I love Wolford tights and wear them every day for work. My few pairs have lasted several years with no holes or shrinkage. They’re not the warmest for cycling but I prefer them to woollen tights, which can feel a bit itchy. Wolfords dry really quickly after a rainy cycle, which is a bonus for me!

Wish I’d gone to the Art Institute. I made it as far as the shop! Next time.

6. meligrosa says:

That’s wonderful, it looks beautiful in there. If you continue to go share some shots pretty please ;)
    Every time I hear of the institute I think of my friend from college Alicia. She is also from Chicago and went there for part of her undergrad, then transferred, and has stayed since out here in California. We graduated from CCAC in 2006.

The Art institute en San Pancho has beautiful murals by Diego Rivera, and most recently a few of us attended a fantastic lecture by pioneer and legendary photographer Graciela Iturbide. I think you’d love her work, she is one of my Mex. artists idols alive. Anyways..

• Dottie says:

THANK YOU for introducing me to Graciela Iturbide. If you ever visit Chicago, I will gladly take you around the Art Institute. I would love to get your perspective.

7. […] Pedaling to the Picasso Exhibit (LGRAB) […]