Winter Beauty

Winter is my favorite time to ride a bike in Chicago.  The paths are relatively empty and there are many sunny mornings, when the blues and whites and sands shine brilliantly.

20130108-R1-01018-030A

20130108-R1-01018-031A

20130108-R1-01018-021A

20130108-R1-01018-019A

20130108-R1-01018-022A

There has been a little ice and snow this winter.  Just enough to add a bit of sparkle to the city, not enough to disrupt my routine or put challenges in my path.

20130108-R1-01018-027A

20130108-R1-01018-029A

20130108-R1-01018-032A

20130108-R1-01018-033A

I cannot imagine Chicago winter without bicycling.  I think life would be pretty grim this time of year, if I did not have a reason to frolic outside with regularity.  And I would miss out on so much beauty!

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Winter Beauty

1. Ezra Rufino says:

Beautiful pictures, looks like your bike is enjoying the beach. Working on a little tan maybe?

2. Gladys says:

This is my first winter bike riding to and from everywhere. I must agree with you, bike riding gives you the opportunity to enjoy things you would otherwise miss. I just wish I lived near Lake Shore Drive. Instead I live about 12 miles away. Boyfriend and I do ride to the city on our days off though.

3. Jessica Kleoppel says:

You and your beautiful photos are right. I need to get back out there on occasion.

4. Jessica Kleoppel says:

5. guy says:

Beautiful photos.

6. trailz says:

I must admit, I’m very impressed you stopped to take out your camera! On those cold days, I try not to expose anything of me more than absolutely needed… my phone and camera stay put in my pocket/bag. Maybe if I had a good blog like yours I’d stop to take pics?? Naa. Too cold! Still, thanks for yours.

7. jane y says:

What do you do with your BF when you get to work–can you take it indoors with you? DH feels strongly that I shouldn’t commute on my Foy (here in West Lafayette, Indiana) b/c I would have to lock it outdoors on a rack & he fears theft and/or banging around the frame.

• LGRAB says:

At work, I lock Betty to a wrought-iron fence outside in a secure parking lot behind the building. If it starts raining or snowing or if I need to leave her at work overnight, I can bring her into my office.

Out and about, I lock her to bike racks on the sidewalk, but honestly I try to ride a different bike if I know I’ll have to leave her locked up for more than a couple of hours.

There are plenty of dings on her frame, but I guess they add character. Someone once said she looked “well-loved.”

8. GiGi says:

Because I know you are a big fan of hand warmers

9. Susan Hayse says:

Gorgeous bike!

10. Wil Davis says:

Nice pictures, lovely bike – thanks again for the youtube vid. describing your bike!