2013 by bike, so far

I’m not one for making New Year’s resolutions. Instead, I look back on the year before and try to tweak the formula a little to come up with a better year to come—more of this, less of that and a little of something new. Still, I always try to start the New Year out by doing things that I want to do more of (or keep doing) in 2013.

So on New Year’s Eve I made sure to take my bike over to my neighbor’s for a quick dinner of Fat Mo’s and prosecco.
NewYearsRide
Freezing rain on New Year’s Day—and a persistant cough that I can’t seem to shake (along with half my office)—meant that my next ride had to wait a while. But I did take a quick ride to Halcyon last night for a party for the volunteers for the 12South Winter Warmer. The place was packed (I love parties in bike shops!) and the beer was great.

Halcyon

The party

10thavepanda

IMG_0875

Other things I have done so far in 2013:

• Attended the Belcourt (they’re doing a Hitchcock retrospective! I got to see The Lady Vanishes on the big screen)
  • Spent a whole day lying on the couch watching a BBC miniseries (The Crimson Petal and the White, very good)
  • Visited the new coffeeshop in my neighborhood, run by the best roasters in town
  • Eaten Pad Thai twice
  • Made a galette des rois (in progress now)

Judging from this list, I’d better get up to something a bit more active this weekend, lest 2013 be a year of sloth and screen-staring. Luckily Anna is coming into town today and can perhaps save me from myself with a nice long bike ride.

How’s everyone else’s New Year going so far?

Tagged , , , ,

16 thoughts on “2013 by bike, so far

1. Four red air days this week have kept me off my bike — an inauspicious way to start the year :(

2. Sarah W. says:

Happy New Year, Trisha! I saw lots of people on their bikes in Los Angeles earlier this week.

3. Amanda Harvey says:

Fat Mo’s is a delicious way to start the new year! I biked to the grocery store and the butcher yesterday. It was just cold enough to feel nice and crisp.

• LGRAB says:

Yes, yesterday was a good day for biking! I biked to the Belcourt to see another Hitchcock. :)

Trisha Ping

Life on two wheels: Simple, stylish, fun!

• LGRAB says:

4. Zoë Romero says:

Partying in a bike shop sounds super fun!! I’ve seen quite a few people running and biking often (pretty common the first couple weeks of the year I guess!). I do the same as you and typically tweak last year’s goals and add ones that pertain to my circumstances. Here’s to 2013 and bikes!

5. Yaaay! A Party Post!

Love the moving self portrait – and the over the head shot – and the sweeeeet dress!

And Prosecco, too…You’re a girl after my own heart, bless you..

It’s the last of my holidays and we’ve just returned from my friend’s place on Brunswick Beach, where we solved all of the world’s problems between yummy meals, copious quantities of grape extract, and shrieks of laughter.

It was good to be there, and it’s good to be home, and I’m happy you’re here.

• LGRAB says:

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the holiday! It’s amazing how prosecco can help with that “solving the world’s problems” thing. :)

6. I’d imagine that a party at a bike shop attracts all the right people.

7. Ezra Rufino says:

Pad Thai twice before the first week of the year is even over! That’s a trend I could get on board with.

8. BikeBelles says:

Bike shop parties! What an amazine idea! And there’s certainly no shame in eating Pad Thai twice – good work! PS love the dress!

• LGRAB says:

Hey, I was briefly in Cardiff in October! Came in on the ferry from Dublin. I saw some nice-looking bike paths on the outskirts, on my way to Angelsey. Beautiful country.

9. It’s good! I think your new year resolution great. Next new year i will do some unique thing. Like ride bicycle at night…