Bicycling on “Call the Midwife”

Call the Midwife, a BBC show now broadcasting on PBS, is the story of independent young women working as midwives in 1950’s London.  The portrayal of these women (the opposite of something like Grey’s Anatomy) is refreshing and I’m especially charmed by the shots of them bicycling around the city to and from jobs.

ctw

Love the bikes, love the outfits.  :-)

call_the_midwife_2

There is even a storyline about one of the midwives learning how to ride a bike as part of the job.

call-the-Midwife_2134596b

Here is a fun behind the scenes look at the role of bicycling in the show.

Watch Behind the Scenes – Riding Bikes on PBS. See more from Call the Midwife.

“I find it really freeing. It makes you really happy, riding a bike…I really loved it.”

Anyone else enjoy watching Call the Midwife?

Tagged , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Bicycling on “Call the Midwife”

1. Proverbs 4 says:

I fell in love with the show. As a matter of fact, I just bought the book by Jennifer Worth. I love the historical presence of bicycles and how they are still important for health, transportation and leisure. I am buying season 1 next ^_^

2. Sarah W. says:

Neat-o!

3. I’ll definitely check it out – thank you!
    I always love the BBC’s period dramas… well, anything BBC is pretty good telly.

4. NAVAVON.RANDALL says:

Refreshing show to watch. Thanks for turning me on to it.

5. Lisa Curcio says:

I love the scene in which she says to the poor fellow carrying the boxes in front of his face “excuse me, would you watch where you’re going please.”

6. I haven’t seen this show yet but I’ll have to get started on it! I wonder if the popularity of this show, which I’ve heard great things about, will inspire other women to pull their bicycles out of some dusty corner and give then another try.

7. Mary : UK says:

I’ve just seen the Christmas special (never seen it before) and really loved it. Thanks for the video clip and Happy New Year!

8. Julie H says:

I had been eagerly anticipating the Christmas special and was thinking about how awesome the bikes are while watching last night! Did anyone else catch the show Supersizers when it was on US TV a while back? They have a great bicycle scene in their Victorian episode (it’s at around 1:55): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0U1Wlw1tfE

9. Alaina F. says:

After reading this post and the comments, I tracked down the show. I don’t have cable and live in an area where antennas don’t work, so I had to purchase it online. So worth it. Love the show and love how prominent cycling is in the storyline.

10. I’ll definitely check it out – thank you!
    I always love the BBC’s period dramas… well, anything BBC is pretty good telly.

11. Julie H says: