Cheers to Community

Thanks so much to everyone for your support this week!  Every comment and email means a great deal to me.

I have not told anyone outside of my bicycling circle about the hit and run.  I want to avoid hearing – from now until the end of time – “I can’t believe you’re still riding your bike” and “OMG be careful!!!”  This would come from a place of kindness and concern, but I just don’t want to hear it.  So I am very grateful for all of you and for my women-who-bike group: people who really get it.

Here are some photos from Decembers Women-Who-Bike Brunch a couple of weeks ago.  Strong, fabulous women who are leading the charge and having fun doing it.

If you are in Chicago and would like to join our Women-Who-Bike brunches, please email me at LGRAB@letsgorideabike.com.  If you’re not in Chicago, I encourage you to join – or start! – a local social bike group.  The benefits of community cannot be understated.

Tagged

21 thoughts on “Cheers to Community

1. Lisa Curcio says:

Dottie, glad to see you back in the saddle so to speak. And congratulations Chika! I did not really see you before I left.

2. Lisa Curcio says:

3. blisschick says:

Only a couple of weeks ago? It looks so balmy for December in Chicago!

So glad to hear about the outpouring of support. Smart move on not telling non-bikers about your accident. No need to stoke the fear machine.

p.s. Totally in love with the black dress/red cowboy boot combo!

4. Julia Ringma says:

I know why you don’t want to hear “OMG be careful” and that’s because it is negative energy. I learned a lot about positive and negative energy while I was having breast cancer and chemotherapy and I got so I can instantly feel energy of either kind. Negative energy, even if well-meaning, saps you of your own energy. When you have been through a trauma, you need ALL of your energy to cope. So you were wise not to mention it to those who would not understand. In my case, I could feel pity and fear radiating off people when I told them about the cancer and I chose then and there to avoid that sort of energy, until I could cope, which was about a year after treatment. That’s why I gave you the idea in the last post about tuning in to your feelings and allowing yourself to have whatever PTSD reaction came, if it did. Not everyone has PTSD but if you see it coming, you can do something about it! All the best.

5. Julia Ringma says:

6. Donna says:

Someone please identify the coat the girl w the green Pashley is wearing. I love it, especially all the brass hardware.

7. Julie H. says:

I had a similar policy when I got doored this fall and thankfully walked away without a scratch. I wanted to minimize the “Be carefuls,” but I also felt it was important not to mention it to anyone outside of very close friends and fellow cyclists in case the person I was talking to had been toying around with the idea of riding more and might be scared off. A sedentary lifestyle is more risky than regularly riding, but for non-riders I think it’s hard to keep that in perspective when you hear a personal crash story from a friend.

8. Bike to Work says:

I know what you mean… I don’t mention near-misses to anyone besides bikey friends. I am so tired of my boss hinting that he thinks bike commuting is a dangerous activity that should be restricted to warm months.

Glad to hear you’ve got a good support group. SO important!

9. Bike to Work says:

Glad to hear you’ve got a good support group. SO important!

10. I hope you are feeling better. I Had a blast as usual! Thank you for no photos..though I see something in the distance.. perhaps a picture of one part is start? :) Let’s go dancing again soon!

11. I hope you are feeling better. I Had a blast as usual! Thank you for no photos..though I see something in the distance.. perhaps a picture of one part is start? :) Let’s go dancing again soon!

12. LC says:

Dottie, I am reading this (and catching up) only now. These are awful experiences and I will be the happiest gal on earth when we’ll get truly decent and safe cycling infrastructure (yes, I mean worldwide!!!), but to get back on your bike and not let one reckless driver spoil the joy and fun of riding your bike is the way to go! Us of the cycling community will be supporting you all the way :) x

13. I need to join a group like this in NY. Awesome group.

14. Diana says:

:O A Pilen!! Also, very sorry to hear about your crash! So happy you’re alright, and that you’re back riding! :)

15. Dottie,

I just found out about your hit and run. So sorry! I am absolutely relieved to hear that you weren’t injured and am proud of your “get back on the bike” attitude. You just can’t contain the awesomeness huh? See you on the road!

16. Dottie,