A Week of Fall Outfits

Here’s an overview of my outfits last week, before setting off to bike to work in temps of 30-40 degrees.  I expect to wear these same outfits over and over again during the upcoming months.

Tuesday: Chloe trench, cashmere sweater, Celine pants, boots.

Wednesday: trench, Chloe dress, tights, boots.

Thursday: trench, cashmere sweater, wool skirt, tights, boots.

Friday: red trench, cashmere sweater, Burberry skirt, tights, flats.

(Most everything I bought used, some on clearance.)

The photos reveal a consistency in my fall dressing: cashmere, wool, tights, and leather boots.  I know I’ve said this many times before, but these materials are excellent for cold-weather cycling.  There is no reason for me to wear technical clothing.

Do you have a cold weather cycling uniform?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “A Week of Fall Outfits

1. Phoebe says:

How do you keep your feet warm when wearing just tights and flats? I assume you are wearing wool socks under your boots, but with flats or heels, it’s hard to layer up. After a few minutes, my metal pedals get so cold from the air that it feels like I’m resting my feet on blocks of ice. I avoid wearing flats or heels in the winter for this reason, but I’d love to know your secret. Thanks!

• LGRAB says:

I wear Smart Wool ankle socks under my tights with flats! As long as the tights are opaque, the socks are unnoticeable. And sometimes I put in a heating pack. When the weather gets really cold, I wear snow boots and carry my flats or leave them at the office, but Friday’s temperature was milder, in the mid-40’s.

2. cycler says:

Your outfits sound much like mine this time of year.
    I’ve switched almost exclusively to wool tights for the duration of the winter. I have a couple of colorful dresses for which I have matching tights, and I expect I’ll layer the colored tights over the wool ones. I am just much much happier if I have a wool “base layer” on my legs.
    When it starts to be down in the lower 20’s I’ll start to add another pair of socks under my boots.

3. You’ve probably answered this a million times, but how long is your commute?

4. Jessie B says:

Hey, Dottie! It’s really good to see others riding in “normal” clothing in cold weather. It is my first bike commute in cold weather, (I had been a warm weather bike commuter) and it has been totally awesome! No matter what the weather is, for my bike commute, I’m just wearing whatever I would wear without bike. I don’t have any cold weather special cycling uniform. However, more and more, I feel like I may need something for my ears!!!! I guess you might answer this already,, but how do you keep your ears toasty?

• LGRAB says:

Congrats on staying with biking as the weather gets colder! In my opinion, this is the absolute best time of year to bike – no worry about sweat. :)
      I always cover my ears. I have a Bern winter helmet with built-in earflaps. So far this year, I’ve just been wearing my normal Nutcase helmet combined with the kind of earmuffs that wrap around the back of my head.

5. Jessie B says:

6. Trisha says:

Glad to see your Paris trench in heavy rotation! Looks like you are enjoying it. :)

7. I don’t mind riding in the cold at all and do what you do with fall/winter outfits. The problem I am running into is that I have to drop off my son at preschool on my way to work. Today was sunny and brisk; I would have ridden but he has a cold with a runny nose and it’s only 33 degrees out, so I felt bad exposing him to the wind, and ended up taking the car.

8. Hebo says:

What brand of wool tights do you wear? I’ve never been very pleased with the brands I’ve tried. Thanks!

• LGRAB says:

I have a pair of Smart Wool tights that are cozy and still in good condition after three winters, but I wear them only on the coldest days because they can be itchy if I get at all overheated. Typically, I’ll wear a pair of regular tights and, if necessary, throw a pair of Smart Wool leggings over them.

The tights I’ve been wearing lately are Commando: http://www.wearcommando.com/collections/legwear/products/ultimate-opaque-matte-tights These tights are seriously comfortable and do not dig at all in the waist.
      Made in the USA, nylon/spandex mix. I found them half off at Nordstrom Rack.

9. Thanks, Beautiful!

I love your jackets – both of them, and I wholeheartedly agree with you, that there is no need for technical clothing.

I left photos of last Tuesday’s commute, with alternative boots for rainy days, on my blog this week…. and it includes my favourite pink shoes! You can find me as spokenscene on blogspot, twitter or facebook….

10. Girls Biking to Work says:

Cashmere IS technical clothing!