Neighborhood Discoveries

On the way home from voting last week, Kermit Allegra and I made a quick stop at Halcyon to get a hand with replacing the batteries for her front headlight. I was glad I’d veered a bit from my usual route because I stumbled upon this in the old Halcyon space.

A brilliant idea: craft beers to go from The Filling Station. It’s not open yet, but a quick Google search points to “soon.” Which means they still have time to add a bike rack (seriously, between this place and Edley’s we need one around that area!) so I can come by and fill my growlers by bike!

When people ask me how I know so much about what’s going on in the neighborhood, I tell them it’s because I bike it. It probably would have taken me longer to discover this place otherwise. Have you stumbled across any local gems during your bike rides lately?

11 thoughts on “Neighborhood Discoveries

1. Simply Bike says:

Looks like such a fun place to come! I know what you mean, I’m constantly finding shops, public art, eateries, etc, that I wouldn’t have otherwise spotted simply by biking and being so much more aware of my surroundings.

As we biked home from the store today, I decided to just pull over as we passed a park and to let C. out of the trailer to play for a few minutes. I don’t usually do that when I’m in a car and am mostly looking ahead at the road and the other cars. By bike, you’re free to notice so much more of the area around you and free to pull over on a whim, engage the kickstand, and stop. I love everything about that.

• LGRAB says:

Aw, that is neat. Even without the stops, getting places by bike must be so much more fun for C than getting strapped into a rear-facing carseat.

Trisha Ping

Life on two wheels: Simple, stylish, fun!

2. Lauren says:

How awesome! We’ll have to try it out sometime :)

I just discovered a new coffee shop on Charlotte – I don’t think I would have noticed it if I wasn’t on my bike, the storefront is TINY. It’s called Headquarters and it looks really cute, at least on their Facebook page.

• LGRAB says:

Yes, it will be so nice to have somewhere within easy biking distance to fill my growlers! How cool about your new local coffeeshop…maybe we can walk over there for a treat after sewing!

Trisha Ping

Life on two wheels: Simple, stylish, fun!

• Paul Rendon says:

Hi Lauren, would it be possible for you to post a picture of Headquarters coffee shop it looks like really neat place, If you can,Thanks

3. Lauren says:

How awesome! We’ll have to try it out sometime :)

4. Rich says:

Just back from riding up to The Filling Station. Such a great thing to have in the neighborhood. 24 beers on tap. Growlers are $5 for either the regular size or a half size. You can trade them out on future trips if you want to change the size. You can also bring your own growler and save the $5. Prices for beer vary but are generally $9-11 plus tax for a growler.

My restored Raleigh Superbe 3 speed with wine crate on the back is the perfect growler getter.

• LGRAB says:

I was there today too! Thanksgiving beer. :) It’s great. The guy working there was very knowledgeable and as you say, there was a great variety of beer.

Trisha Ping

Life on two wheels: Simple, stylish, fun!

5. Rich says:

• LGRAB says:

Trisha Ping

Life on two wheels: Simple, stylish, fun!