Janet’s Black Faux Fur Helmet

On my ride home from work yesterday evening, I ran into my friends Janet and Dan on the Lakefront Trail.  I love unexpectedly seeing friendly faces in Chicago; it always brightens my day and makes the city seem more and more like home.

As you can see, Dan and Janet have WorkCycle Omas, which they bought after visiting Amsterdam a few years ago.

Janet had on a new helmet by Yakkay, called the Luzern Faux, that she bought locally from Heritage Bikes.  The Yakkay helmet can be mixed and matched with different style covers and this is one option (it also comes in white).  So stylish!

At first I thought it was an actual shapka, not a helmet.  These are very on trend right now (and I do love my Anna Karenina).  :-)

Janet’s whole outfit was perfect for a chilly November night: fur hat, tweed coat, scarf, jeans, leather mittens, and high boots.  Perfection.

I want one now, but alas I already own a black winter helmet.

You can see another Yakkay helmet cover modeled by Martha, one of the lovely women-who-brunch, in this post from last year.  Has anyone else given this a try?

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Janet’s Black Faux Fur Helmet

1. Dweendaddy says:

“I want one now, but alas I already own a black winter helmet.”
    Why would that stop you? You have several bikes, several jackets, several pairs of shoes, why not several helmets??
    Accesorize, baby.
    Can you own more than one = the “new” helmet debate.

• Dottie says:

Ha, true, but I try to keep my basic wardrobe down to one type of each thing. So one pair of high brown boots, one pair of brown ankle boots, one pair of high black boots, one (okay, two!) pair of black ankle boots, one camel trench coat, one windbreaker, one down coat, etc. Of course, I could say one FUR helmet because I certainly don’t have that yet. ;)

• Dottie says:

2. nikki says:

Yes! I own a Yakkay helmet (with this cover to be exact http://www.velo-zuerich.ch/velo-zuerich/velo/velo-zubehoer/velohelme-yakkay/velohelm-paris-harringbone/paris-herringbone-2.jpg). I get SO many compliments on it. Plus, with a Yakkay you can always change the style! They’re wonderful. I say spoil yourself. It’s almost your birthday, right? RIGHT? :)

3. Simply Bike says:

Looking good, Janet! I like the helmet and her coat! Very Tweed Run ready :)

4. laura says:

i thought yakkays didn’t meet US standards for helmets? has that changed?

5. Lisa Curcio says:

I have been thinking about a winter helmet–have to go try one of those!

6. LGRAB says:

Lovely helmet AND outfit. Janet and Dan are always so stylish! I like the Yakkay look but the helmets I really drool over are the Sawaka Furuno ones. Love the crocodile style they came out with this year! Alas, I, too, already have a helmet (that doesn’t get much use).

7. meligrosa says:

lovely! :)

karen is easily identified here in SF<3 with her white one +her reflective stripes: http://bikesandthecity.blogspot.com/search?q=karen

8. meligrosa says:

lovely! :)

9. Dan says:

It was so fun to see you on my way home yesterday! I can always tell it is you from a distance with the classy bicycle and classy outfits.

10. ridonrides says:

what a pretty bike basket! and best accessory of all, a pretty smile.

11. Stacy says:

My husband brought me a Yakkay (Tokyo Jazz) from HUB in NYC last February. For this winter, I made my own new cover inspired by the faux fur covers they had listed at Adeline Adeline. It had me thinking, I might need a shiny rain cover come spring! http://www.asimplesix.com/2012/12/22/homemade-yakkay-helmet-cover/

12. Simply Bike says:

Looking good, Janet! I like the helmet and her coat! Very Tweed Run ready :)

13. Lisa Curcio says:

I have been thinking about a winter helmet–have to go try one of those!