Fading Fall

Last week, on my bike rides, I was drafting a blog post in my head about how glad I was that I hadn’t entirely missed fall. My favorite oak tree still had a share of blazing red leaves, and the weather was cool but not cold (in fact, the first day I was back, it was 80 degrees!).

Fall leaves on the cobblestones in Amsterdam

Alas, my procrastination made that post obsolete; I woke up this morning to a chilly 36 degrees and a projected high of 54, not too dissimilar to the temps Dottie described in her last post. But with the weather going on in the East today, I’m not going to complain too much about fall’s abrupt conclusion. At least there are new fall TV shows to curl up with: has anyone else been watching “Nashville”? I cued it up on Hulu when I got home last week and totally got sucked in. Except for the fact that everyone on the show has a Southern accent—something that’s increasingly rare in actual Nashville, which, like any good boom town, is full of people from other places—the setting feels pretty authentic for a drama, and I absolutely love seeing places like The 5 Spot and the Musica statue on my TV every Wednesday. And the music is awesome: T Bone Burnett is a producer, and most of the music is written specifically for the show by local songwriters, although they used a Civil Wars song on the first episode.

Anyone else tuning in? Do you have another favorite fall show?

10 thoughts on “Fading Fall

1. Sarah W. says:

I don’t love the show, but I did think the music was especially good. It’s surreal to see all the aerial shots of familiar Nashville scenes!

2. Sarah W. says:

3. ridonrides says:

I watch Chicago Fire for the same reason! Not quite addicted to it though.

4. Kathleen Gillies says:

i love that show! Plus it’s nice to see Nashville sights. Belle Meade and Music Row… I’ll be making a trip down after Thanksgiving–my brother lives in West Nashville (off Charlotte). The music is fabulous too. Another great location show with fantastic music is Treme on HBO.

5. Kathleen Gillies says:

6. Scott says:

The period dramas, “The Paradise” http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vhpsv and “Downton Abbey” http://www.itv.com/downtonabbey/ seem to be all the rage with the British ladies just now.

7. Dottie says:

I spy a new TopShop dress from London! :)

As you know, Homeland has been my latest tv obsession, but I will check out Nashville one of these days.

Chicago is pretty much past the pretty fall phase and into deep fall now. The rain has not yet turned to snow, though, which is good.

8. Dottie says:

I spy a new TopShop dress from London! :)