Fashion Friday: Riding in the Rain

Overcast and rainy skies have surrounded me lately.  Much of my riding in Amsterdam took place under damp mist and yesterday a heavy rain fell in Chicago, causing me to tuck Coco in my office for the night and take the L train home.  Alas, I was caught without a coat to fend off the sudden cold and rain.  If I could do my Thursday morning preparations over again (with dream clothes/bike collection), I would opt for something like this European-inspired rain outfit.  Why not, right?  :)

I hope all of you either have been staying dry or enjoying the wet weather in style!

{Collage details here}

Tagged , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Fashion Friday: Riding in the Rain

1. Dennis Hindman says:

For those unexpected times when it rains or suddenly gets cold, I’d recommend that bicycle riders carry a light weight poncho that takes up very little room so its easily stored. It won’t keep your legs and feet completely dry, but its much easier to put on than waterproof pants and a jacket, plus if it has a good it can keep most of your head dry.

I found a wide range of inexpensive bicycle poncho designs at Amazon. Two of them are big enough to cover part of the front of the bike when you ride, which might make you look somewhat like little red riding hood. If you want to try and keep your front basket dry while pedaling over to grandmas house, then a poncho that big might be a good choice. This tent affect might also tend to keep your lower legs and feet drier.

I found other designs on the Amazon website by Charles River Apparel and Stormtech that are not bicycle specific, but seem to drape well when worn.

A poncho called Valdipino that is shown is made by Vaude, which is a German company that makes a wide range of bicycle products, but is better known in the States for their backpacks and sleeping bags. Because its designed for use on a bike, there are reflective details, side pockets for keys or a phone, cotton lined cuffs and hand loops.

Then there is also rain ponchos for women made by Sierra Design, Totes and REI that might work well when bicycling. REI also sells a $5 rain poncho.

A much more expensive rain poncho priced at $129 is sold by Ilse Jacobsen.

There is also a stylish poncho for women which provides less coverage than the other ones that I mentioned that is made by the Finnish design house Marimekko:

Or, if your at work and its raining just before you leave, maybe a co-worker can creatively make a poncho for you:

2. Dennis Hindman says:

A much more expensive rain poncho priced at $129 is sold by Ilse Jacobsen.

3. Kim says:

I wear my ‘let it rain’ jacket from lululemon, all year with more layers in the winter. I LOVE it because it’s smart and stylish in any weather and looks good on the bike and on the street. The hood goes up over my helmet when it rains and I get good coverage as the back drapes down, so I can still wear a dress. The two way zipper helps when riding, but I pull it back down when I hit the street for a slimmer, flattering line. It has nice deep pockets for storing my gloves and stuff too. I also love my new Athleta polar-fleece tights. Warm and comfy for cold weather riding. They look great with the coat and I love being able to tuck them into my boots….ps…I am not affiliated with either company, but love their stuff.

4. Kim says: