Park(ing) Day Downer

So Friday was Park(ing) Day, a day when cities around the country take over parking spots and turn them into urban parks. When my friend Whitney said she was volunteering at the one downtown, I immediately begged to tag along with her for her 7-10 pm shift. Our ride downtown was pretty pleasant, featuring Minnie Pearl impersonators outside the Country Music Hall of Fame:

Minnie Pearl lives, in Nashville anyway!

Blocked-off streets due to a downtown music festival (no problem for bikes!):

And a few hills:

Here’s what we were expecting to find, thanks to the Nashville Civic Design Center’s Facebook page:

Here is what we found:

The Flik sadly contemplates the dusty remants of an ancient civillization

No green stuff, but lots of traffic!

I guess Nashville can’t give up a parking spot for more than a few hours? I won’t lie, we were pretty annoyed—especially Whitney, who had volunteered her time and was not contacted about the event ending early.

We salvaged the evening with a progressive ride to the Nashville Night Market, dinner at Silo in Germantown and a beer at the Taproom.

Anyone have a more positive Park(ing) Day experience than I did? Hope so.

Tagged , , ,

11 thoughts on “Park(ing) Day Downer

1. ladyfleur says:

I made a detour through downtown San Jose, CA to see the seven parklets that were supposed to be there for (PARK)ing Day. Of the seven, only four were still going at 5pm. :(

But the nicely done parklet in the tony suburb of Los Altos was still going strong until long after dinner. It was three spots long and had a really high quality bike corral with it. We were impressed. Pix here: http://ladyfleur.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/parking-day-from-parking-space-to-people-space/

2. Sarah W. says:

How disappointing!

• LGRAB says:

Yeah, it was a bummer. I don’t know if Whitney ever heard anything back from the coordinator guy. They weren’t publicizing it very well to begin with…

3. ha—Sadly the CHA day was similar: thriving during business hours, when I was chained to my desk, and gone by 4/5 p.m. I even OH a coworker griping about the parking spots being taken and how annoying it was.

Le sigh. The South.

4. jen says:

The afternoon rain kind of killed our park in at UIC in Chicago, but before it rained it looked pretty awesome

5. Eli Riveire says:

As a Kentuckian, just popping in to appreciate the Bulleit bottle :) I actually know the Bulleits! I used to make their coffees every morning at my former coffee shop!

6. Eli Riveire says: