Bike pump advice?

I need a new bike pump. It shouldn’t take 10 mins to top off two tires, right? But my cheap Bell pump needs a converter to work with Kermit Allegra’s presta valves, and it’s so poorly constructed that the hose keeps disconnecting from the valve in mid-pump. It would also be nice to have a pump with a pressure gauge.

Proof of the pain the lack of a bike pump can bring. (click image for source)

Can anyone suggest a quality double-header pump that won’t break the bank? I suppose this is a question more properly posed on Twitter, but it’s easier to refer to the comments section than pore through @replies.

Tagged , ,

41 thoughts on “Bike pump advice?

1. AdamHerstein says:

I’ve got a Topeak Joe Blow that works pretty well. It’s got a head for Schrader and Presta.

• Jason says:

Seconded for Topeak Joe Blow, great pump.

• Janice in GA says:

That’s what I have too, and it works fine for me. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that sometimes it’s a little awkward FOR ME to flip the lever between presta & schrader. But I’ve always managed to make it work.

Always be careful when you attach or remove the pump head.

• Mark Muller says:

There are a number of Topeak Joe Blow pumps. I have a sprint, or the equivalent from a few years ago and like it. The dual head (presta on one side, schrader on the other) works well on both types of valves, and I like the top mounted gauge – it is easier to read wile pumping.

• Mark Muller says:

• Michael Wagner says:

Looks like I will be no. 5 to recommend the Joe Blow. Mine has been working for years.

• AKA60643 says:

Make that 6 for Joe Blow. I’ve got a dual-head version that I’ve used heavily for several years on multiple bikes and a car. I’ve also brought it out for a few bike events. It does the job quickly and efficiently. Having the pressure gauge helps a lot, and it’s easy to read while pumping. It’s easy to use for either Presta or Schrader.

• Danny says:

+7 for the Joe Blow. Love the pressure gauge and dual head. The entire pump feels very solid, and it’s given me great service for a couple years now.

• n. says:

The Joe Blow Sprint is probably the best price/performance of the Joe Blows I’ve tried. I like the Sport, too. Warning: I had a Max, and it was cheaper, but pumping above 80psi was way too difficult (I’m a petite, non-burly lady). The pump head on the cheaper Joe Blow models is also a little more difficult for people with smaller, less-strong hands. It is worth the extra 20-30 bucks to get a better model.

• AdamHerstein says:

I’ve got the Max as well, and I’ve noticed as well that it can be a bit difficult to pump past 80 psi. My tires’ recommended pressure is between 75 and 100 psi, so that hasn’t been a major issue for me yet.

• Accordion says:

I also have the Joe Blow – sport I think – bought it 5 years ago and have pumped up everything from Presta/Schrader to footballs and rugby bladders. Not the most expensive but works a treat.
      Given all the money in the world…I’d go with an airline with a programmable auto cut off…

• Trisha says:

Wow, lots of fans of this one. I’ll definitely check it out.

2. kagi says:

I had a pretty bad experience with an Ascent pump — the head broke after only a few uses, rendering it useless for Schrader valves (though fine for Presta). Its pressure gauge is also inaccurate (at least, compared to my portable gauge), which led me to at least one blowout from over-filling. Looks like others agree: http://tinyurl.com/9uqd3rd Now, I’m just using the cheapest pump from Nashbar for Schrader and the Ascent for Presta.

3. cycler says:

I love love love my Lezyne. It’s so nice to have a chuck that screws on instead of having to mess with the lever. I always seemed to scrape my knuckles either wrestling the lever on or off. The Lezyne just screws on- and more importantly off so easily. My only “problem” with it, is that the wood handle is so nice, I don’t like to leave it outside in the bike shed, so it’s an extra step to remember to take it out with me.

All my bikes are schrader, but my husband’s bikes are Presta, and the change over to flip the chuck is very very easy.
    I don’t go to super high pressures, but it works well and quickly for pressures of 100psi or below (probably works above that too, just don’t know from personal experience)

• Stephen Hodges says:

I’m very high on the Lezyne floor pumps. They are very well-designed, sort of the iPhone of bicycle pumps, and very easy to use. I found mine online, but I lucked out and bought one off Craigslist for a friend. Incredibly nice to use, fast, and super accurate. Def recommended.

• Audeamus says:

4. Zack says:

I’ve had a Serfas TCPG for awhile now and it’s great and cheaper than a lot of the similar pumps I looked at. Has built in dual head, inflates quickly, and has a gauge.

• fadumpt says:

I second the Serfas TCPG (

The head is great for both valves (stick it on and pull the lever up and it adapts to the head, nothing to change)
      Works great for pumping tires up quick. I’ve been up to 100PSI without any issues.

• fadumpt says:

on your Bell pump: I first picked up a Bell pump from Wal-Mart because it was so much cheaper, and of course I wouldn’t be needing a gauge….
        It was just about impossible to fill a tire up with it.
        The end kept popping off the valve.
        Perhaps I was doing something wrong each time, but for that, I’ll spend the extra money on a pump with no learning curve. (returned it to wal-mart)

• LGRAB says:

Yes, that’s exactly what happens to me with my Bell just about every time. So frustrating.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I’m going to research in the next couple of weeks and get something soon, will keep you posted. :)

T

• LGRAB says:

T

5. Dominique Duguay says:

I have a Filzer Zephyr Pro Team floor pump…available in canada for 50$, so might be less in the US.
    I think it’s great! It has both valve attachments, locks in, and has a pressure gauge. And it doesn’t take long to pump up…
    you really need a floor pump for refilling, and a cheap small pump for emergencies while you’re out biking (mine I got at the dollar store, and has both valve attachments, and locks! Best 2$ ever, along with my 1.50$ patch kit for flat tires).

6. Robyn Anderson says:

I’ve got this one from Park Tool. Love it. It’s been working great for over 5 years.

7. steve_a_dfw says:

I got a dual head Nishiki floor pump at a sporting goods store for $10. Got a dual head Topeak mini pump at a bike swap meet for 50 cents. The trick is to buy them at deal prices whenever you see them.

8. Sarah W. says:

I have a standing Serfas pump from East Side Cycles. It fits Presta and Schrader, has a guage, and it works great! I felt like I’d wasted $15 on a travel pump that never worked that well.

9. I use a Pedros Racing Service pump that’s a few years old and the model is no longer available. Too bad, because it’s just perfect – double head, easy to use, no complaints. Anyhow, recently I asked readers about their favourite pump, and you can check out the variety of replies here. Good luck!

10. I use a Pedros Racing Service pump that’s a few years old and the model is no longer available. Too bad, because it’s just perfect – double head, easy to use, no complaints. Anyhow, recently I asked readers about their favourite pump, and you can check out the variety of replies here. Good luck!

11. Stephen Hodges says:

Lezyne. I’ve tried many pumps and the Lezyne floor pumps are excellent. Quality is cheapest in the long run.

12. lisamc says:

Lezyne floor pump. We love it. It is the best pump we have owned so far by a long shot. Works well with schrader, too.

13. StefanieA says:

I don’t have any advice to give, but I am so glad you opted to ask via the blog rather than Twitter! I’ve been looking for a new floor pump lately, too, so seeing all the recommendations here has been/will be super helpful.

14. Jamie says:

We’ve been using an earlier version (Serfas FP-50) of this one
    http://www.rei.com/product/799193/serfas-fp-55-floor-pump for about 3 years with no complaints. Well, no complaints about the pump. I complain a lot when I can’t find it because whoever used it last left it in a new and creative place. But I’m probably the guilty party half the time. The dual valve head makes going between Presta and Shrader completely painless.

15. I dream of a lezyne pump after having used one at an LBS a few weeks back, but my mid-range pedro’s has a double head and does the trick as well as anything else I’ve ever used.

16. dukiebiddle says:

I have a Bontrager Turbocharger Fit. It’s a bit expensive, but it apparently is a woman specific ergonomic design that makes it easier for women to pump at high psi (I bought it because my senior citizen mother, who lives a few miles away, said she might want to borrow it). No complaints; but like I said, expensive. I think I paid about $50 back then, but it Google Product Search says it retails for about $80 now.

17. Matt says:

Any LBS will have decent models for around 35 dollars, like Pyramid, dual head and gauge included. They work fine.

18. Christine @ TakeWithFood says:

Pedro’s all the way! Try the Domestique if you’re looking for a really good deal. If you’re willing to spend a bit more, the Prestige and Super Prestige are awesome!

19. bicycle pump says:

Looking for a bike pump?…here http://www.bicyclepump.net/ you can find some great bicycle pump reviews. Hope it helps :)

20. bicycle pump says:

Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Floor Pump is a REAL bike floor pump. This floor bike pump has a full capacity of 160 psi, can be used on both Schrader and Presta valves. The adjustable pointer makes it easy to see how much more pressure is required.