My Trip Around Scotland

As I mentioned before I left, in March I went to Scotland for a week with my friend Tanya and my husband.  I had not gotten around to blogging about the trip, since it was no epic bicycling adventure.  In fact, quite the opposite: we traveled all around Scotland via rental car with the express purpose of visiting as many whisky distilleries as possible.  We were successful.  :-)

We flew into Glasgow and immediately picked up the car and set out for the countryside, traveling to a different town every day, staying at a different B&B every night.  I would not necessarily recommend this itinerary for a week’s trip because driving time was much longer than estimated (and scary! with being on the left and curvy roads and cliffs and all) but we got to see a lot of this beautiful country and meet lots of very friendly residents.

Slowed down a bit by a flat tire…

And now prepare for gobs of photographs, showing our daily adventures.  I hope no one still has dial-up internet!  (All photos by me, unless I’m in them.)

Day 1: Oban

B&B: Strumhor

Distillery: Oban

Every B&B we stayed at served breakfast, of course.  The menu never changed: always the traditional Scottish breakfast.

I was happy to see that in addition to tea every place served delicious french-press coffee.

Day 2: Isle of Skye

B&B: Grasmhor

Distillery:  Talisker

I think sheep are so funny and awesome and I was thrilled to see them everywhere in Scotland.  The sheep roam entirely free on the Isle of Skye, since the only way off is a bridge, and the shepherds separate them at the end of the season based on color markings on their wool.  The result is a bunch of punk-rock sheep wandering around, with hot pink and bright blue and neon green tufts sticking up.

Ratagan Pass for a beautiful view.

Inveraray Castle

Day 3: Dufftown

B&B: Morven House

Distillery: Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glen Grant

This B&B had the coolest house cat.

Day 4: Pitlochry

B&B: Roseburn

Distillery: Macallan, Dalwhinnie

Macallan is my favorite distillery and I brought back two bottles: a special edition 1876 replica and a 22 year.  Yum!

Queen’s View for the most beautiful view.

Castle whose name I cannot remember with beautiful but scary peacocks wandering around.

Day 5: On the road to Edinburgh

Distillery: Erdradour

A hike at the Falls of Bruar, which my fear of heights made nerve-wracking, but the views were worth it.

Day 6: Edinburgh

B&B: Ayden

It rained pretty much the entire time, which we took as a sign to spend most of the day poking around used book stores and drinking in pubs.

My Lululemon rain trench came in handy.

While in Edinburgh, we were thrilled to meet up with Jennifer both nights, a fab woman and LGRAB reader whom I hung out with when she visited Chicago two years ago.  So handy to have a local to bring us to the best restaurants and bars!  :-)

Day 7: Glasgow

B&B: Alamo

After Glasgow, we flew to Dublin for 2 days/3 nights.  I’ll post about that part of the trip separately.

The single malt whisky I brought home with me!

Half of these bottles are empty by now.  :-)

THE END

Other trips we’ve taken over the years:

St. Petersburg, Russia (with some interesting bicyclists)

London, England (with cycling infrastructure)

Littlehampton, England

Paris, France (with Velib and bicycling around Versailles)

Alsace, France

NYC, New York

San Diego, CA (twice!)

Montreal, Canada

And we’re very excited about our planned trip to London/Paris/Amsterdam next month!

Tagged , ,

21 thoughts on “My Trip Around Scotland

1. Sarah W. says:

Gorgeous photos! Amazing sights! Thanks for sharing.

2. Cecily Walker says:

Oh to have the means to travel like this!

You’ve also got me wanting to try shooting with film again. What film/camera combo did you use for the colour shots?

3. Trisha says:

It’s fun to see it all laid out this way! The photos are great. Can’t wait for our trip! No cars allowed/needed. :)

p.s. I LOL’d at Greg and the branch in his collar!

4. STH says:

Lovely! Thank you for this. My partner and I are planning on going next summer; we’ll meet up in London after he (hopefully) finishes the London-Edinbrugh-London ride, then take the train to Scotland!

5. STH says:

6. Jennifer says:

Oh it looks dreich! Shame that the weather was so bad but lovely that you had a great time. I really enjoyed meeting up with you again and I learned more about whisky that I ever have from any Scot! Hope you enjoy your next European trip. That’s a great itinerary you and Trisha have decided upon.

7. Jennifer says:

8. Carolyn says:

Lovely photos! I was in Scotland in 2002, and I really loved the Isle of Skye, even though I only had made a daytrip to there. I want to go back and explore Scotland some day…

9. upSlope Aunty says:

Fabulous pictures. I love Scottish sheep too, they never seem to mind the dreich weather. I think sometimes the colour on their backs is from the ram. Farmers put dye on the rams’ chests and so can easily see who has been ‘tupped’. Alwasys amusing in the tupping season to see which part of the sheep the ram has managed to transfer his dye to.
    The castle might be Blair Castle at Blair Atholl.

10. Gemma Piper says:

haha love how you comment how scary the driving is in the countryside. Other than a few hair raising roads round the cliffs in Cornwall and some windy steep roads in the Lake District, aka Hardknott pass & made even scarier when the car in front run out of petrol and with no room to pass forced us to do a 3 point turn on a really narrow road with an extremely steep drop on one side!* I definitely prefer countryside driving, the chaos in a city just scares me! But I can understand about driving on the other side of the road, I’ve driven in main land Europe several times and it takes some getting used to, remembering the right way to look at junctions and looking on the opposite side you are used to when pulling out or over taking. All fun.

Great you visited Edinburgh it is such a beautiful city & as you say has some fantastic book shops which I could just get lost in. I also can’t believe as you say you travelled so much around Scotland in that short space of time! Every time I consider venturing for a trip in Scotland I decide against it as I know I wouldn’t be able to see everything I want to in the amount of time I have available and being the other end of the UK, 500 miles driving one way is a long way to only see a few places (especially with the price fuel is!). I visited Wick & John O’Groats to visit family friends a bit when I was younger with my parents (& even in the summer it rained all the time) but have never done any of the islands so very jealous. Your post & fab pics are starting to make me change my mind though as we plan to return to my fave place in England, the Lake district in a couple of weeks so could venture over the border for a few days. I guess as it’s not that far!

Have fun when you venture back over this side of the pond again. Are you using the Eurostar to travel between London & Paris? If you are there’s always a possibility that while I’m out on a leisurely bike ride that your train will pass under a bridge I use on my route about a mile from where I live (in Kent) while I’m on it. Unlikely though as I somehow manage to always literally just miss any train either before or after & therefore any potential photo opportunities LOL! :-)

*N.B We didn’t just leave the couple in their car stranded, we did offer to help them but they insisted they didn’t want it & said they would sort it?! Not sure how though as the nearest petrol station was miles away & shortly after we left a hail storm came down!

11. Gemma Piper says:

12. steve_a_dfw says:

You didn’t make it to Glenfarclas? Shame! You simply have to go back again.

13. Agree with others that your photos are charming. Lovely to see such bonny pictures of one of my favourite corners of the world! Sadly, where I live is but a pale, Southern Hemisphere imitation. The historical ghost tour of the Edinburgh vaults is well worth a look if you ever return. (Assuming you’re into ghost tours run by historians.)

14. Glovetogloveyou says:

Great pics! I have to ask….did that lovely plaid scarf come with you to Scotland, or did you buy it there?? It is SUCH a great accessory, and really pops in these photos.

15. Carolyn says:

16. Agree with others that your photos are charming. Lovely to see such bonnie pictures of one of my favourite corners of the world! Sadly, where I live is but a pale, Southern Hemisphere imitation. The historical ghost tour of the Edinburgh vaults is well worth a look if you ever return. (Assuming you’re into ghost tours run by historians.)