Pedal Pushers

Before I started cycling, I never thought about the name “pedal pusher” for pants in a literal way. But now it comes to me – duh, this style is named pedal pushers because they are made for pushing pedals!  The cuffs are short enough that there is no risk the getting caught in the chain or crank while bicycling.

Since I started bicycling daily, I almost entirely stopped wearing pants in favor of skirts and dresses to avoid having to secure pants cuffs, but lately I’ve been wanting to wear outfits built around pants.  Pedal pushers are a good solution.

This is the only pair of pedal pushers I have, tending to avoid them as not the most flattering length, but I think I’ll keep my eyes out for more.  They are just too convenient and fun for bicycling.  I really don’t know why I never thought of them much before.  :-)

What do you think – are you a fan of pedal pushers?

Tagged , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Pedal Pushers

1. leafygreene says:

You look great in them!

2. Lisa Curcio says:

I think the “style mavens” renamed them “capris” a few years ago, although I have always thought of them as pedal pushers. Unfortunately, I hate the way they look on me and I would not wear them to work anyway, so I con’t think I will be adding them to the wardrobe!

3. Les Connally says:

capris, pedal pushers, puddle jumpers.. I cant keep it straight. I think it is a fashion history thing. 50’s 60’s Google Audrey Hepburn bike for some classic photos..

4. donna says:

I love skinnies and capris too. I got rid of all my wide leg trousers and bootlegs. They make me feel dumpy and short. Long live skinnies!

• donna says:

Didn’t mean to imply that short people are dumpy, rather, that bootleg pants “shorten” the appearance of my legs.

5. Ken C. says:

I’m a guy, and when I was a young boy in grade school [mid-to-late-1950s], I thought those short [well, calf length] pants were called “petal” pushers. “Petal” because the cuffs brushed against the flowers when walking through the fields. All the girls wore them, but they were considered very casual [for example, they could not be worn to school]. Only much later in life, when they were re-born as “capri pants” did I come to know that the original “pedal pushers” were associated with cycling.
    Besides being safe and practical, your pedal pushers look quite appropriate for the office. For several years I cycled to work using an ankle garter on my right cuff; I’m glad those days are long gone.

6. Ken C. says:

7. [...] Pedal Pushers « Let's Go Ride a Bike – life on two wheels: simple … This entry was posted in Blog Search and tagged august, bicycling, bike, brunch, convenient, don, [...]

8. Philippe says:

Eh, in french they’re called “feu de plancher”… Floor fire.

9. OldBikeRider says:

You must have cut back on the cupcakes!

10. Unlike shorts and full leg trousers, pedal pushers actually look good on me. I love them in warm weather, both for cycling and not.

11. ridonrides says:

dottie, i love the pretty peplum top you’re wearing. i always called pedal pushers flood pants/high water pants. capris i think of more as just covering the knee, somewhere between shorts and floods. i think it’s a great option for people who can wear business casual to work. they look more polished than “city shorts” (bermuda shorts in a pant fabric).

• LGRAB says:

Thanks, the top’s from Anthro clearance rack. I always think of high waters as pants that are unintentionally too short, like all my dad’s jeans. :)

12. NancyB says:

Clam diggers! My commute is too far to wear regular clothes but I wear the same length in stretchy pants. I wear them until my shins get too cold. I think the key to not making your legs even shorter is to avoid the flares.

13. Thaddeus says:

ProSoluhtion Gel seems to be endless. Conduct some more
    research online and you’ll seee that thousands of relationships break up because of un-satisfactory
    in sex. Ignorance about important men’s health conditions is common since
    there simply aren’t enough resources male growth pills around for males.