Making It Work

Sometimes an outfit comes along that is worth a little extra trouble to become bike-friendly.

I found this Burberry polo shirtdress at Salvation Army last week for the low, low, low price of $1.89.  I thought the casual dress would be great for summer, but it was shorter than I expected once I put it on.

I really did not want to be inappropriate, so I put on black spandex shorts underneath.  Then I layered a full-length opaque slip to prevent the black from showing through the white cotton.

A couple of people mentioned using slips for bicycling in the comments of this post, so I picked up a highly-recommended full slip from Gap Body.  The slip worked perfectly, although natural fibers would be more breathable and therefore better for bicycling.

These three layers helped me feel secure while biking 8 miles in this dress.  I think I could have gotten by without the shorts, but I prefer not to worry about my hemline and appreciate the extra coverage.

I’m sure this new slip will come in handy with many other outfits.

Do you have an outfit that you love so much, you go out of your way to make it work on your bike?

Tagged , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Making It Work

1. Heh. I was riding home from the beach the other day in what I thought was a fun but respectable beach dress. Later saw a picture my husband took of me and the dress looked way shorter than I thought it did – more like a tunic really. So I will now be wearing it with leggings or over trousers. I could not wear a slip under a casual summer dress; it would defeat the purpose for me. Oh and white? Forget it; I would destroy it in the course of a single day!

• DawnT says:

You know, I was wondering how clean the back of your dress looked after being on the leather saddle in the heat. You look adorable, but I bet I’d be a mess in that white! :)

Very cute outfit and solution.

• Dottie says:

True about the slip somewhat defeating the purpose of a lights summer dress. A natural fiber would certainly help with that issue. Although the slip helpfully sopped up some of my sweat, preventing it from showing through my dress.

2. Camilla says:

Excellent solution! Can you recommend a good place to buy the spandex shorts? I’m guessing that they aren’t actual underwear but more like exercise clothes? Thanks!

3. Ash L says:

You should be able to find a silk slip (whether full or just the skirt piece) at the thrift store. Silk will give you all the benefits merino wool does, including no stink.

• Dottie says:

Yes, I need to look harder. Most of the real silk slips I find are too long and, despite the best intentions, I know I’d never get around to hemming them.

4. inspiredcyclist says:

You look fresh, and summery!

5. Heather says:

That dress is fantastic and the sandals and shades are so perfect with it! I’m guessing I’m not the only one who comes here to see the fabulous outfits you guys wear just as much as for the great biking tips! :)