Caught in the Rain

Summer is notorious for sneak attack storms and I am always caught unprepared.

Such was the case on Saturday.  In the morning, I met my friends Chika and Holly for a free and super fun Bollywood dance class outside the Museum of Contemporary Art.  The sun blazed on us for two hours of dancing, but as soon as we got on our bikes, the sky darkened ominously.  The pouring rain soon followed.  Luckily, Chika lives nearby and offered us refuge.  She even invited Betty Foy inside.

The elevator was a bit of a squeeze, but we managed.

Once tucked inside, we waited out the rain with some delicious gin, among other treats that Chika kindly supplied.

After a couple of hours, the sun was back to blazing and Holly and I set out for home.

Unfortunately, I did not have any of the cool rain accessories that Trisha posted about on Friday, but my dress and shoes (and Betty’s poor leather saddle) were all dry by the time I set out.

Overall, I was happy for the storm because it lead to some quality girl-bonding time.  You know what they say about clouds and silver linings!

Who else has gotten caught in the rain lately?

Tagged , , ,

9 thoughts on “Caught in the Rain

1. Craneman200 says:

Got caught about 5 miles out last Sat on my way home from a local farm market. Crashing thunder and an incredible light show out over Lake Ontario. I did have a rain jacket along, so I pushed on since the lightning was over the lake and not nearby. What an invigorating ride!!

jim

2. Craneman200 says:

jim

3. Cyclinmissy says:

I wish!  We need some rain to get caught in…

4. I should probably invest in some rain wear….T-T

ambrosia18.wordpress.com

5. ladyfleur says:

Not likely to rain here in NorCal for another three months.  But those short and intense Midwestern summer storms are a good excuse to duck and cover with friends.  Gin helps too.

6. Redheadwiththread says:

I actually have a question…  Dottie, I know you said your saddle had time to dry, (gin to the rescue) but what should one do if there is a sudden rain and you need to ride and your seat was soaked?  Is it damaging to the saddle to ride on it when wet?

• LGRAB says:

I hear it is bad for the shape of the leather saddle, but I’ve done it a few times before and I can’t tell a difference. I’m not very fussy with my stuff.

• Stephen Hodges says:

I’ve had Brooks saddles on all my bicycles for years. An occasional sprinkle is not the end of the world at all. A soaking rain is best avoided, but it’s not the end either. If you treat your saddle with your favorite leather goop, that’ll help a lot. And if it gets wet, well, it’s also likely if you ride it right then that it will conform more to the shape of your particular bone structure, such as a leather shoe will conform to the shape of your foot if wet. But that’s not something to be done on a regular basis, and it’s important to dry it out well when you get home. Constant moisture is hard on leather, and it’ll cause blooms of mildew that eat into the leather over time.

7. TrekRiderMark says:

How was the gin?  I am a Bombay Sapphire (New Amsterdam if they are out) person myself, but that looks rather interesting.