Bicycling in a Long Dress, Part II

Last month, I posted about bicycling in a long dress.  I demonstrated using an upright Danish bike with a full chain case.  Today I wore a long dress and I wanted to ride my Rivendell, which has an exposed chain and no skirt guard.  I assume this is the type of bike that most readers have, so I’m posting Bicycling in a Long Dress: Part II – no chain guard edition.

This is almost as simple as Part I.  The only difference is that I pinned up the bottom of my skirt.

Here is a quick video to show how quick and easy making a long skirt bike-friendly is.

Has anyone else tried this with a long dress? I know a few of you commented about similar strategies in the previous post.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

13 thoughts on “Bicycling in a Long Dress, Part II

1. Sonja says:

I cycle to work everyday, too and love to wear skirts and dresses. For me a hair-tie usually does the trick. I tie up my long dress/skirt with the hair-tie on one side. if it’s really long i just hold on to it on the handlebar to get it out of the way.
    it sounds a bit odd reading this now, but really does work great!
    happy monday – i’m about to brave 34C in Shanghai..  this is where the flowy dresses really come in handy.

2. Hera says:

I use a  hair tie too.  You can make a “ponytail”, or if the “ponytail” will hang down too far, you can twist it around into a bun or knot!

3. Ash L says:

What’s the point of the long dress if you still need to shave your legs for the ride?

4. francis says:

One day this will be the dress version of the hipster rolled up right pant leg look!

5. Jennifer says:

I just want to know where you got the dress! :)

6. Qi says:

Pretty, sexy, simple. Hope it encourages more people to ride and make this world a better place to live in. :)

7. She rides a bike? says:

I tried it today with a full cotton skirt. I had to have a knot on both sides to manage all the fabric. Granny knots. Worked fine! Who knew.

8. She rides a bike? says: