Fashion Friday: It’s heating up

Yesterday I had my first truly hot ride of the season. Not complaining, since we usually reach 90 degrees well before June 15, but it means that I need to choose my outfits a little more carefully (and ride a little more slowly) if I want to avoid being a sweaty mess when I reach the office. I also could start leaving earlier, but that’s crazy talk.

I like the idea of a sundress with a built-in bra (one less layer!). Top it with a blazer, and you’re totally work-appropriate. Knit blazers like this one are great because they can be wadded in your pannier or basket with no harm done. They’re also washable. I have a beloved black one that lives at the office most of the time.

Biking the long hot summer

What are your strategies for cycling through the long hot summers? Do you carry a change of clothes? Ride at a snail’s pace? Stay inside watching Paul Newman movies? Let us know in the comments.

21 thoughts on “Fashion Friday: It’s heating up

1. I also could start leaving earlier, but that’s crazy talk.

Testify!

During the sweaty months, I take a change of clothes and shower in the gym at work. I am such a sweater that I’m damp before I even leave the neighborhood (which is downhill en route to the office!). Riding slowly just doesn’t work for me.

• LGRAB says:

That’s true, some days it’s just hot no matter what! At least, in the South. I’m just glad my workplace dress code is relatively casual.

2. meligrosa says:

OooOOH. a young paul newman <3333

3. Beth says:

That dress is fantastic.

So far it hasn’t been too bad here, but I know it’ll get terribly hot and humid, and I am a natural born sweat factory even on cold days. A change of clothes and unscented baby wipes is my master plan.

4. Beth says:

That dress is fantastic.

5. Karen says:

I’ll have to get back to you on how I’m managing the heat.  I’m in Phoenix at the moment getting ready for our move down here and the temps are around 105 at the heat of the day.  Next week promises temps aroudn 110!  I’ve been advised by those in the know that drinking water is the key and keeping clothing light weight and color.  Although my commute to school won’t be more than 2 miles (all flat) I suspect that I’ll be mixing bike w/ rail a lot.  A couple of people told me that once temps get above 100 degrees they simply throw in the towel and stay off the bike.  I definitely see wet-wipes in my future.

• LGRAB says:

Yes, it if it is over 100 here, with the humidity, I can’t handle it. Even with just a 2.5 mile commute! It’s amazing how hot you can get. Walking is almost better, although it takes so much longer. I will be interested to see how you fare in AZ.

• LGRAB says:

(I should qualify: this is probably less than 12 days/year…luckily!)

• Susan says:

Hi, I, too, bike commute in Phoenix, approx 9 miles each way about 3 days a week.  So far, it hasn’t been too bad.  I don’t have showers at work, but I do pack my work clothes and change once I am there. Definitely wear long sleeve and pants made from summer weight spf material. However, when the temps get over 110, then I have traditionally called it quits for the regular daily commutes.  I may test the waters on Monday, which is forecasted to be 110.  Ugh!

• Chrissy says:

Hey ladies : ) I’m feeling the heat too here in Vegas. I commute 10 miles round trip 5 days a week. It’s supposed to reach 110 next week. Water, water, water is probably the best thing you can do. I also wear a surgical mask while I ride- it keeps me from breathing in dust and exhaust, and also keeps my sinuses wet. I do wear long sleeves now- the sun is just too intense not to. It also helps that my commute is downhill, so I don’t have to work that hard to get to work. It’s coming home that’s a b*tch!

I’m considering calling it quits tomorrow and driving to work. It’s supposed to be 105, which is manageable, but there’s also supposed to be 22 mph winds, which I do not enjoy.

Also, and some people may flame me for this, but when it’s this hot, I can’t wear a helmet. It’s just not possible. But a huge chunk of my commute takes place on a shared use path and other sidewalks, which is why I’m not concerned by this.

6. Lafs4 says:

My biggest concern is my hair. By the time I get to work, my side-swept bangs are soaked.  I take off my helmet when I hit the easy streets close to work so I can start to ‘cool down’. My bike attire is light and airy. I wear a cashmere sweater for those cooler mornings. I toss it in my lululemon bag along with my rain gear which I keep in my rear basket at all times. I have learned to always be prepared.  I keep a blow dryer and  curling iron at work and usually fit myself up when I get to the office.  Not so concerned for the trip home!!!

• LGRAB says:

I agree, the ride home is much less important! I have a pool at my condo complex, so what I do in the summer when it gets really hot is ride in early, when it’s still just in the 80s. Sweating on the way home is a given, but it’s straight into the pool or shower. Not so bad…unless it is seriously hot.

• LGRAB says:

7. Accordion says:

I burn easily & the sun down under here in the land of Oz is fierce.

Long sleeved cycle jersey + knicks. Shower at work. Two water bottles for the trip home. If need be I ride to the train station & hop on an air conditioned train.

Oh and sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen!

8. Dottie says:

I want that blazer.  Doesn’t wrinkle or need dry cleaning?  Perfect!

Leaving early does make a huge difference in the heat factor, plus the traffic is much lighter, so that is my goal for the summer.  Not sure how well this will work in reality, but I’ll keep you updated.  :)

9. DENNIS.HINDMAN says:

I used to work in the westend of the the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, where temperatures can reach 110% in the summer. I had been routinely taking a complete set of clothes to change into when I got to work, but then after looking at videos of how the Dutch ride, I realized that my method was silly, having to carry a heavy backpack and it took time to change clothes.. So, I decided to ride at a slower pace to keep my body temperature down, got a pannier and let the breeze cool me off when I rode. The last half block of the ride was on an incline, which made be exert more than I wanted to.