Class: The Lady and the Bike!

Attention Chicagoans!  This Tuesday, June 5, 6:30-7:30, I will be teaching a class, The Lady and the Bike, at Next Door community center at 659 W. Diversey.  This class is part of the Chainlink Bike Semester and is totally FREE.

There is so much information to share in one hour and I’m sure people will have lots of questions, so I’ll be hitting a nearby bar afterward for anyone who would like to continue the conversation.

Right now I am still working on my presentation.  (Well, not right now, obviously right now I’m procrastinating by blogging.)   I will use photos to illustrate several of my points, which means I’ve been looking through my archives all morning.  I came across a series of photos that shows the challenges I face when taking timed self-portraits.  I have to wind the timer on my old film camera and then run in place before it goes off.  As you can see, I do not always make it.

…and, finally made it!

Looking back at these pictures 1.5 years later is pretty funny.  Thus concludes this exciting behind-the-scenes look at the making of LGRAB.  :)

Hope to see some of you Chicagoans on Tuesday!

The next class in the Chainlink Bike Semester is Racing 101 on June 19 -taught by a woman!

Tagged , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Class: The Lady and the Bike!

1. Drmiczak says:

I applaud your concept. God knows we need to entice more women onto bicycles. I just wish someone would show a women on a bicycle that can actually get you somewhere….quickly.
    I like riding in the upright position and I have a sweet foldy with fenders and a front basket and all. Still it is not the most aerodynamic way to get around. You die on a hill and it takes forever to get anywhere. Esthetically though, it is the bicycle I choose when I need to arrive a bit more dressed up.
    Women are far more that bike ornaments. We need to get places and do things on our bicycles, not just look pretty enroute (I wear full makeup on my road bicycle!) Some fashions are also better left off the bike such as large handbags and skinny high heels. A slip and fall in front of a moving vehicle will have you wishing you wore something else (if you survive).
    I’ve been cycling for over 25 years and it’s no picnic out there. Be prepared with more than your favorite lipstick and a trendy scarf when heading out to ride.

• Dottie says:

Thanks for sharing your story – you sound awesome!  :)

I think high heels on a bike can be perfectly safe, the issue is more what kind of pedals you have (I wear heels only on my bike with rubber pedals).

2. Drmiczak says:

• Dottie says:

Thanks for sharing your story – you sound awesome!  :)

3. Misssarahchan says:

Oh, awesome! Good luck!

4. Cupcake Ride says:

Yes! Good luck!

… and I had no idea you used a self-timer for your self-portraits! I just assumed someone was taking them for you because you are always centered in your photos!  WOW!

5. Lafs4 says:

Wish I was in Chi town to attend the class.  You prove in the pics that you can still look fab while riding a bike.  I tend to have a more ‘sporty’ look, especially in the fall and winter, but I do look forward to wearing my skirts and dresses and free flowing hair in the spring/summer.

6. Lafs4 says:

7. Van says:

Reminded me of a time I was using my self timer with no luck. After running back and forth and waiting several times I gave up. Once home I unloaded the (digital) camera to find that I had hit the video button instead of the self timer and recorded my ridiculous looking actions.
    Good luck with your class.