Chicago’s Culture by Bike

During Trisha’s recent visit, our time at the Nature Museum was only the beginning of our day enjoying Chicago’s culture by bike.  After saying goodbye to the birds and butterflies, we continued riding south along the Lakefront Trail to downtown.  Our destination was the Art Institute, Chicago’s great art museum.

During previous visits, we’d already seen the famous impressionists and modernists.  This time we enjoyed the exhibits featuring beautiful textiles, furniture, photography, miniature rooms, sculptureChagall’s windows, and O’Keefe’s Sky Above Clouds.

After a few hours, our minds began to turn from art to relaxing.  We met up with Sara and her new pastel blue Pashley Poppy that she bought from Boulevard Bikes.  After commuting daily on a Jamis Commuter for a long time, she certainly deserved the upgrade!

The three of us (san Poppy) went to Rooftop at the Wit for drinks.

The drinks were overpriced and the atmosphere a little obnoxious, but the views of downtown were cool.

After drinks and dinner, we added Mr. Dottie to our group and headed to Goodman Theatre to see The Iceman Cometh, starring Nathan Lane and Brian Dennehy.  The play was interesting to think about afterward and also very long, 4.5 hours.

We ended up biking back home together through the relatively empty city streets at midnight.  In my opinion, the best way to end a full and engaging day.

Wherever you live, remember to take the time to explore and enjoy your area’s culture.

Tagged , , , , , ,

13 thoughts on “Chicago’s Culture by Bike

1. Stephen Hodges says:

One of my most favorite museums on earth. A must-see. I have taken my young daughter there several times, and have spent hours perusing the exhibited art. The Impressionists alone are stunning.

And the portraits of you and Trisha are also (ahem, but I’m a dude) stunning. Beautifully lit, elegant poses. Part of the AIC’s collection?…:)

2. Audeamus says:

One of my most favorite museums on earth. A must-see. I have taken my young daughter there several times, and have spent hours perusing exhibits.

3. David P says:

Thanks for the heads-up on the play – i like Eugene O’Neill. Will have to get tickets.

4. David P says:

5. Sarah W. says:

Gorgeous photos!

6. my hyggelig says:

I haven’t been to Chicago for ages, and the AIC only once for pleasure, but I remember that O’Keefe like it was yesterday.  Nice!  And that Poppy makes me want a Pashley – WAIT I have one. :)  So pretty…so thought provoking.

7. my hyggelig says:

8. Steve from Sydney says:

Your photos capture so much. I hope to visit Chicago one day (with my bike). Thanks so much Dotty for producing this site.

9. Lafs4 says:

My husband and I spent 5 beautiful sunny days in “Chi Town” last summer…must say we absolutely loved our visit.  Rented bikes each day and were able to cover so much more.  Just thrived on the trail along the lake…wow…how perfect is that.

10. Lafs4 says:

11. TrekRiderMark says:

What great pictures.  That is one of the best photo’s I’ve seen of Trisha.

You are making me want to head back there very soon Dottie, just saying. :)

12. Alex says:

This is a beautiful post. The ice blue theme in all of the pictures is lovely. Ties it all together very well.

13. Alex says: