Chicago’s Lurie Botanical Gardens

Today was a beautiful day.  One of the most beautiful of the year.  The sunshine and blue skies and flowers and fresh air all made me remember how wonderful living in this world can be, on the right kind of day.

I rode my bike more than usual and I was thankful for the opportunity.  In the morning I had to be far downtown for a seminar, so I took the Lakefront Trail for 45 refreshing minutes.  A few hours later in the early afternoon, I got to enjoy the outdoors again as I biked from there to my office.  While co-workers jumped in a cab,  I couldn’t resist stopping by the Lurie Botanical Gardens in Millennium Park on my bike.

I wore one of the skirts I thrifted this weekend for $2.  I enjoy wearing flowers in the springtime, although I know my fabric cannot compete with nature’s beauty.

The Lurie Garden is an almost miraculous spot in the middle of downtown Chicago.  There is a glorious juxtaposition of nature and city.  The skyscrapers are a sight to behold, hovering over the flower beds.

Getting down to the ground level and smelling the blossoms takes me back to my mom’s garden, growing up in North Carolina.

Then I stand up and see the architectural marvel of the Pritzker Pavilion, backed by the Aon Center and the Watertower antennas.  Ah yes, Chicago!

I lack the green thumb of my mother, so this guide identifying the different flowers in the garden at this time of year was helpful.

This bird in the tree was making a fuss about me taking its picture.  Very loud.  Camera shy.

At the end of the day, I decided to take the Lakefront Trail home.  On one of the most beautiful days of the year, why not end the day with more of the beautiful same?

I managed to feel like I spent a great deal of time outside, when really all I did was get from one place to another, pure transportation.  Yet so much more.  Everyone who rides a bike, you know what I’m talking about, right?  :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 thoughts on “Chicago’s Lurie Botanical Gardens

1. Ash L says:

I did some spontaneous extra riding today too. Too beautiful not to. I also couldn’t resist ending at the new pie and biscuit place in my hood. Mmmm.

I hope tomorrow is a fraction as gorgeous since I have a 60 mile ride planned.

• Dottie says:

60 miles!  Where are you headed?

Pie…biscuits…mmmm.  Which place is this, the former food truck?

• Ash L says:

I’m taking the prairie path to Elgin and then back down to Wheaton if it doesn’t get too windy/rainy.

The shop is called Bang Bang Pie and the biscuit are seriously out of this world. As a fellow Southerner you will appreciate them.

• D Pertuz says:

Ash, where is Bang Bang Pie? I’m local, too. Sounds positively yummy; as a quasi-sorta-Southerner i love good biscuits but theyre not the kind of thing i see a lot of in Chicago. And, of course, everyone knows pie beats cake every time.

• Beth says:

Oooh, I looked it up – it’s Logan Square/Bucktown-ish (2051 N California). I think that may be a plan for an upcoming Sunday: test ride a Pashley at Boulevard Bikes and then treat myself to biscuits and pie.  Field trip!

• D Pertuz says:

• Beth says:

• Dottie says:

60 miles!  Where are you headed?

Pie…biscuits…mmmm.  Which place is this, the former food truck?

2. Redeyedtreefr0g says:

I can’t help but be jealous.
    It seems like Mother Nature decided to make up for lost time by dumping all the winter precipitation she forgot about on us all at once: now. It is gray and overcast nearly every day, but not even really raining- just enough to make everything wet and miserable in sporadic bursts. It’s too cold for me to just get wet, but my windbreaker is decidedly not waterproof. I’ve been getting by on luck, mostly.

I’m a fair sewer, and even have a coat pattern I like, but I don’t know enough about sewing clothes to know which fabric would work for a raincoat.

How do cyclists (or anyone, I guess) deal with cold rain?

• Carice Pingenot says:

I personally like a long overcoat in the cold rain.   Cold rain is “easier” to dress for, because you don’t get overheated by the rain gear.   I’ve been working on a warm rain solution that includes a riding skirt and waterproof rain jacket.

• Dottie says:

I usually wear a cashmere sweater with a raincoat over.  That does the job.  Or I take public transportation.

3. Redeyedtreefr0g says:

I can’t help but be jealous.

How do cyclists (or anyone, I guess) deal with cold rain?

4. anniebikes says:

A lovely, lovely day on wheels. I love your skirt, by the way. It is very much like Spring.

5. Simply Bike says:

This looks like such a perfect day! What a beautiful post to wake up to :)

S.

6. Markn says:

Hey Dottie. I sure love these photo’s. I have been to Milennium Park on many visits and have never seen the Lurie Garden. I am coming in May for Bike The Drive and Critical Mass. That is going to change, the gardens look awesome. I can not help but have a little bike envy…you have some really great bikes…

• Dottie says:

You should definitely try to check out the Lurie Gardens.  Right behind the big face fountains, just across the street (to the north) of the Art Institute.

7. Markn says:

• Dottie says:

8. paulo rafael says:

Wow!!

9. paulo rafael says:

Wow!!

10. Gordon Inkeles says:

The world’s only (?) all-pink Cattrike Musashi & it’s color coordinated owner:http://bikesocial.blogspot.com/2012/04/last-roundup-for-cattrike-mushashi.html

11. TrekRiderMark says:

Great shots!  Next time I am in Chicago I’ll have to go there.  I mainly went up and down by the lake last time.  Up to Lincoln Park and back down to Soldier Field.

12. TrekRiderMark says:

13. Lafs4 says:

Love Chi town.  Thanks for pics..great find on the skirt!

14. Lafs4 says:

Love Chi town.  Thanks for pics..great find on the skirt!

15. gafas de sol says:

Muy contento de ver tu blog, gracias compartir tantas cosas interesantes. Espero que en el futuro se puede ver el día de publicación más interesante!

16. john h says:

Very colorful.

17. Karen says:

What a happy post.  One of the things that I love about riding bike as my primary method of transporation is that I can make spontaneous detours to enjoyr sites that I love.  Most recently, I took a spin past the latest progress of the shipping container house.  Now owner occupied, the residents are making progress on landscaping.  Absent, of course, are the beautiful colors of midwestern springtime flowers, but that is one reason I visit your blog.

• Dottie says:

So true – being able to stop my bike so easily whenever the mood strikes me is a major plus.  Helps me discover and appreciate my city more.  Local businesses should be very happy about the increase in cycling for this reason alone.

Shipping container houses sound very interesting.  I saw a program on tv about such houses a while ago.

18. Karen says:

19. Aaron says:

“Everyone who rides a bike, you know what I’m talking about, right?”

Yes!  I’ve been thinking all spring that even though I don’t always get to be outside much during the day, I still get to enjoy the whole transition from winter to summer simply by riding to and from work.  To drivers, the transition must occur in big one-week jumps, when they get to see the changes on the weekends (if they do).  I’m not sure why I’ve noticed the advantage this year in particular—maybe because spring came early for us.

• Dottie says:

Yes, exactly!  If I were not able to ride my bike, I wouldn’t spend much time outside at all.  I’m so lucky that I’m able to enjoy the outdoors and all the subtle changes day by day.

20. Gordon Inkeles says: