A Spring Saturday Bike Ride

Saturday morning, I met up with my friend Araidia for a brunch and thrift shop expedition. Of course, we biked, which was half the fun!

There are so many beautiful spring flowers in bloom, we each found one to match our helmets.

Araidia’s a purple Bern…

…and mine a pink Nutcase.

We chatted freely along the way, either riding side-by-side or dropping back into single-file when a car approached. The route and area were new to me, so Araidia led the way.  Since she took us along a very quite path, there were few cars and no stress.

We biked through a college campus…

parks…

…and neighborhood streets.

Our destination was the Albany Park neighborhood. Once there, we enjoyed a Swedish brunch at Tre Kronor and thrifting at Village Discount Outlet, where I scored two dresses and three skirts (including an Elie Tahari and a Ralph Lauren) for $37 and Araidia found the awesome pink bag in the photos.

Here is a short little video of our ride through Albany Park. (The song is Jenny Mayhem, “All the World.”)

I returned home five hours after I left, feeling very good about my day – and entitled to some cake and wine after biking nine miles. :)

Did you spend some quality time on your bike this weekend?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “A Spring Saturday Bike Ride

1. Ridonrides says:

loving your flower pictures!  i’m somehow not seeing a lot of flowers on the lakefront trail like in your other commuting pictures.  i rode to belmont from 18th st. and the only flowers i saw were by the Museum campus (which are still lovely).  your friend’s hair makes me envious.  the times i’ve tried wearing my hair down with a helmet have been disastrous.

• Dottie says:

You’re right, there aren’t many flower on the Lakefront Trail.  The city should do something about that!  You can exit at Millennium Park for beautiful spring flowers, but that’s a bit off the path.  Oh, also, a little side trip to the butterfly sanctuary around Addison is also lovely.

2. Ridonrides says:

• Dottie says:

3. john h says:

You really need a helmet cam or something,nice music though. =)

4. Beth says:

Hah. I saw the pic of the campus and thought, “That looks like North Park University. Oh if she was there, I hope she knew to eat at Tre Kronor…” and lo and behold, you did! Hope you go a pastry – the danish there are divine.

As for me, I spent no time on the bike this weekend – our training ride was cancelled. But I DID go to JC Lind for the first time today! While there, I
    1. replaced my helmet (still Bern, I want their winter knit liner),
    2. nearly cried when I learned the Pilen is too big for me,
    3. unexpectedly loooooved the feel of the Gazelle,
    4. ooohed over a really stunning Bella Ciao,
    5. learned that in the spring, they’ll start carrying Workcycles, yay!

So it was bike-a-licious enough, but without any actual mileage – and a corresponding lack of Swedish pancakes. :-)

• Dottie says:

I ate an apple danish.  As a starter, before my salmon and dill quiche.  :)

Sounds like a lovely weekend for you.  Isn’t Jon the nicest?  My friend from work recently fell in love with and purchased a Gazelle from there.  I’m excited about the future for Workcycles.  I’ve been sad that there’s no place to buy them in Chicago since Dutch Bike Co closed.

• Beth says:

Jon is terrific. And I should clarify that it’s next spring – a year from now – that the Workcycles will show up. I really look forward to trying one.

5. Victoria says:

It looks so nice in that area, and spring time too compared to autumn in Aus. No bike on the weekend but did 68.5kms Thursday and 36.5kms Friday when the weather was lush! :)

6. Carolyn says:

Oh, I love the Purple Liliacs.. we won’t get those until May.  I saw my first flowers today, some Snowdrops.  Apparently it’s too early to get Lilies yet.  Crocuses are out too though, I’ve heard.  That’s the bummer part of living up North.

• Dottie says:

Yeah, the flowers came really early this year and, as Araidia pointed out to me, are lasting a lot longer than usual, probably because it got very warm mid-March and then cooled down again.

7. Carolyn says:

8. Timoohz says:

Didn’t ride much, as the weather wasn’t very good with intermittent rain and sleet for most of Saturday and Sunday.

On the Neighborhood streets picture, why are the trees on the right brown? Did the leaves not fall off for the winter? On the left dark green leaves, and light green leaves on the trees in the distance… interesting. Different kind of trees?

9. paulo rafael says:

Yes, I did  ride by bicycle about 57km between my city, Recife-Brazil, and others towns near. Nice your pics!

10. paulo rafael says:

11. Lovely photos as usual. :)

The hubs and I rode along the Virginia side of the Potomac River across from DC and around the Arlington area. The cherry blossoms, daffodils, and tulips are gone, but the weather was gorgeous.

We live 25 miles away from DC so we put a few miles on our bikes.

• Dottie says:

Sounds like a great ride!  That is quite a long ways to go.  This must be the nicest time of the year in that part of the country, before the extreme humidity of the summer.

12. Anne Wong says:

You always have the most gorgeous photos!

Anyways, I was also wondering and I guess that this is a question more directed towards Trisha, but I’m considering getting the single speed Abici – based off of your experience having one, and having ridden it in Chicago before, do you think that a single speed would be efficient for commuting in the city?

Thanks so much!

• LGRAB says:

I do! Go to Copenhagen Cyclery and take one for a spin. They’re surprisingly speedy little bikes, even here in Nashville with our big old hills.

~T

13. Naomi Jackson says:

You rode through North Park, my alma mater! This is the best time of year because the campus comes to life in Spring time.

14. Beth says:

1. replaced my helmet (still Bern, I want their winter knit liner),
    2. nearly cried when I learned the Pilen is too big for me,
    3. unexpectedly loooooved the feel of the Gazelle,
    4. ooohed over a really stunning Bella Ciao,
    5. learned that in the spring, they’ll start carrying Workcycles, yay!

15. Victoria says:

16. Dottie says:

I ate an apple danish.  As a starter, before my salmon and dill quiche.  :)

17. Dottie says:

Nice!  That’s many many more kms than me.  :)

18. Beth says:

19. Timoohz says:

20. Dottie says:

Sleet, eek.  We’ve had strong thunderstorms over night, but luckily no sleet.

The trees on the right are brown because they are flowering trees that already blossomed and now the flowers are dying and falling off.  I guess green leaves will grow in to replace the flowers soon.

21. Dottie says:

Oh, okay.  You could always try mine, at the next brunch or something.