Made in Montreal Bike Dress

In a recent comment, LC of Naturally Cycling: Manchester made a great point, saying:

I have made a conscious decision of buying less but buying good quality and ethically made. So I would be happy to pay more for an item of clothing if I know (and it’s certified) that it’s made ethically, for example the workers are paid a fair living wage, the materials are of certified origins (i.e. organic cotton, fair trade etc).

If the price tag is high just because it’s ‘fashion’, then no, I am not willing to shell out so much money. But if it means workers have not been exploited then yes.

I totally agree with this philosophy.  Buying fewer things that are high quality and ethically made makes sense all around.  Although I sometimes slip up, I try to apply this reasoning to all my purchases.  (I sort of get a free pass at thrift stores, which is one reason thrifting is so fun.)

In this spirit, while visiting Marche Bonsecours in Montreal, I purchased a dress that was designed and made in the city.  The price was high compared to a mass market dress, but I was willing to pay more to support a local Montreal designer.  Plus, bicycle print!

The designer is Eve Lavoie.  I could not find much about her online, except this shop that sells her clothing.

Do you have a shopping philosophy?

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Made in Montreal Bike Dress

1. Sarah W. says:

Dottie, that dress is so flattering!

2. Maven says:

The dress is adorable–I love all the details on the top–and it looks so great on you!

I pretty much just thrift my heart out and look for USA-made stuff if I need something new.

3. ** says:

Simple and ‘clean cut’ and yet beautiful. Looks good on you. ;)

4. ** says:

Simple and ‘clean cut’ and yet beautiful. Looks good on you. ;)

5. Jax+Puzzle says:

Dottie, that bicycle dress is completely adorable!

• LC says:

Hello! Thanks for the heads up ;) I rarely touch the subject on my blog as I always worry people will roll their eyes and my posts will come out ‘wrong’ (by this I mean: misunderstood).

But perhaps I will share some more, you’ve inspired me to!

That dress is gorgeous :D x

6. Jax+Puzzle says:

Dottie, that bicycle dress is completely adorable!

7. LC says:

But perhaps I will share some more, you’ve inspired me to!

That dress is gorgeous :D x

8. Aaron says:

“Do you have a shopping philosophy?”

Yeah, I avoid it as much as possible.  Can’t stand it.  Of course, I end up wearing things (and riding, etc.) until they’re absolutely worn out, which doesn’t exactly look super professional…

9. AKA60643 says:

Cute design.  Very flattering.  Congrats on the great find.

10. Anne A says:

Cute design.  Very flattering.  Congrats on the great find.

11. Kimberly says:

Love this dress…not only does it fit and look beautiful, it has character…

12. Sonja says:

that is one fabulous dress! great cut and print!

13. Keiron Curtis says:

Dottie, I am in total awe, you have it all, the looks, the clothes, the ethics, the style and the bikes! Your life is sorted!

14. Lisa Garbrick says:

Super cute dress.  There’s shopping and then there’s shopping. . . this could justifiably come out of the art budget, yes?  Enjoy it!

15. Lisa Garbrick says:

16. That is an absolutely beautiful summer dress. Love the design, it could be dressed up or worn casually. Lovely. Love your blog by the way – from across the pond

17. Karen says:

Really cute and somehow perfect with your ponytail.

18. guest says:

this is so cute!! do you know what kind of material it is??

19. Julianne says:

I’m always a little mystified when items marketed towards women (I think we can safely include dresses in this category) with bicycling imagery feature less-feminine bike designs. It would be a little awkward to ride the bike pictured on the dress in the actual dress! And to me, the fantasy of riding a bike while wearing a dress involves a classic upright, step-through frame. But your dress is still adorable! And bravo for putting your money where your mouth is.

Etsy is another great option for ethical clothing. While there are certainly less-skilled designers starting out, you can find endless pieces that are made by the person selling them, or on occasion in a small production facility. The pieces are made with care and attention that you can’t get in mass-production, and because you are buying from the ‘manufacturer’ you can get a pretty good deal while sending all of the money to the independent designer.

I know y’all know about Etsy, but I just had to give a shout-out for the fellow independent clothing designers!

• Dottie says:

I agree about Etsy.  Lots of great stuff to be found there!

I think the bike on the dress looks totally appropriate for riding in a dress.  Upright handlebars, sprung saddle, chain guard, fenders.  The only difference between the bike print and my bikes is the top tube, but I know lots of women who ride bikes that are not step throughs.

• Dottie says:

I agree about Etsy.  Lots of great stuff to be found there!

20. splurge-worthiness and coordination with Oma : )