Nashville Share the Road photoshoot: Behind the scenes

Two weeks ago, Kermit Allegra and I were invited to take part in a photo shoot for Metro’s latest “Share the Road” campaign — an initiative created through a collaboration between the Mayor’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) and Metro Public Health. Funding came from Communities Putting Prevention to Work, a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (so Nashville cyclists, don’t say the stimulus package never did anything for you.).

They shot two types of cyclists: me on my bike in a dress and heels, and a sporty road bike rider. Imagine me in the place of Keith (the sporty cyclist) and Kermit Allegra in place of his bike (since I could not photograph and also be photographed). You’ll see the shots soon! The campaign is set to launch March 15, in conjunction with the official inauguration of the spanking new Music City Bikeway. It’ll be mostly MTA and (gulp) billboard ads.They are meant to educated drivers in particular on how to behave when confronted with people who make alternate transportation choices.  Hence the car in the shot, happily sharing the road with the bike.

This is what the creative director saw.

Here is Kermit Allegra waiting her turn, with her Po Campo bag on the rear rack. Note the sadist with the reflector blinding our cyclist friend. He was doing the same when it was my turn (though he was quite apologetic about it). I’m pretty sure they’re going to have to Photoshop eyes onto me because it was nearly impossible to keep from squinting! But I guess that’s how photoshoots roll.

This was what I was staring at. Note the sunny glare/flare/whatever you call it. One other fact I learned: you cannot expect sweet jams during a city-funded photoshoot. So if I don’t look particularly natural when you see me on the side of the bus, please be kind. I was sun blinded and not even enjoying some Lady Gaga to compensate. :)

Despite these hardships, the photoshoot was a fun experience, and the campaign is going to be a great thing for Nashville. Let me know if you spot it before I do!

Tagged , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Nashville Share the Road photoshoot: Behind the scenes

1. Guest says:

Great stuff; although I do wish they had parked a couple of cars in that parking lane so that they could have shown that cyclist riding right on top of those sharrow markings, and not in the door zone.

2. How exciting!  I look forward to seeing the photos and ads.  And I’m going to look for more info on the Music City Bikeway!

3. LGRAB says:

This is so awesome, Trisha!  I didn’t think about where the campaign ads would be used.  I’ve gotta go to Nashville in April or May to see you on buses and billboard.  Can’t wait to see the photos!

4. How fantastic, Trisha!!  I hope you’ll post the pictures of you and Kermit when they start appearing.  Way to be a part of helping keep cyclists safe in your city!  Pedal On!

5. Sarah W. says:

I’m so excited about this campaign! Maybe I and other Nashvillians can be on the lookout to photograph the ads.

6. Sarah W. says:

7. bikinginheels_cycler says:

How nice!-
    It’s too bad they couldn’t do the shots in a couple of weeks when things had had a chance to turn green.  I guess they had to get them done in time for the late spring bike boom.  So glad that they included a “chic”  transportation cyclist as well as a sport cyclist in their campaign.
    Can’t wait to see photos of the billboards.

• LGRAB says:

Yes, I think it’s fun that they’re featuring both styles! It definitely would have been prettier in a few weeks. Maybe they’ll Photoshop us a spring? :)

8. bikinginheels_cycler says:

How nice!-
    Can’t wait to see photos of the billboards.

• LGRAB says:

9. Lauren says:

How cool! I didn’t know they were putting together another Bikeway – sounds like we need to arrange another group ride :) You know, for science.

10. Julie Hardee says:

Trisha, I love that you gave a shout-out to the Stimulus! Good stuff.

11. Julie Hardee says:

Trisha, I love that you gave a shout-out to the Stimulus! Good stuff.

12. Kara says:

This is awesome. You and Kermit will make such perfect models. Can’t wait to see the shots.