Bicycling to the Bookstore

One of my favorite things to do on a weekend is get out of my jammies, bike to the bookstore, and return home to my jammies and a day of reading new books.  (I’m a wild woman, I know.)  The ride to my favorite bookstore is about 3.5 miles roundtrip – the perfect distance for an easy ride that nevertheless allows me to feel like I’ve accomplished enough physical activity for the day.

As much as I love this bookstore, I would shop there less often if I could not ride my bicycle, because 3.5 miles is a bit much to walk in the cold and the store is not along my public transit route.  Even if I had a car, parking is nearly impossible to find in that neighborhood.  Lucky for both me and the store, I have my bicycle.  :)

Last Saturday I went a little crazy in the sale section, but they had so many excellent books for under $5.  By looking at my haul, you can get a big hint about where I’m going for my next trip.  (Mr. Dottie and I leave in one week!!)

Of course, I did not carry my books directly on my rack like this, but a canvas bag smushed down by bungie straps is not so photogenic.

Is there anywhere you enjoy going, but would rarely frequent if you could not bike there?  I think businesses in the city are well-served by a growing bicycling population.

Happy relaxing weekend to all!

Tagged , , , , , , ,

15 thoughts on “Bicycling to the Bookstore

1. bikinginheels_cycler says:

You’re a wild woman after my own heart :)  Although I don’t normally change back into my jammies after loading up on the books, I just curl up and read them in whatever I wore to the library.

There are a lot of places that I “can’t”  go to on a day like today when I’m not riding my bike-  I suppose I could get the Scientist to lend me his car, but they’re often not worth the parking hassles.   Trader Joe’s, the Whole foods where I drop off my compost, and the hardware store I visit most often.   None near public transit (well, the hardware store is, but it’s faster to bike there than to take the bus), a bit too much of a hike to walk comfortably,  and with no parking lots or tiny parking lots that become cage(r) matches on weekends.

Ironically the #1 location I couldn’t go to if I didn’t have my bike is our auto mechanic.
    It’s completely isolated from public transit, and almost always I’m leaving the car there, and have to get to or from work from there.   I have biked in ridiculous conditions in order to not have to walk there.

2. La says:

Ahhh!! I am from scotland and let out a huge yelp about how cool it is you are coming here!
    Where abouts are you going? You are going to love love love it.

• Dottie says:

Cool!  Your site is so cute.  You are in Glasgow, right?  We (me, my husband, and our friend Tanya) will be in Glasgow all day March 17, leaving for Dublin early on the 18th.  That’s St. Patrick’s Day – any advice on fun places to go?

Our whole itineray is filled with places.  We fly into Glasgow but drive straight to Oban for the night, then spend one night each in Skye, Inverness, Pitlochy, two nights in Edinburgh, then one night in Glasgow and two nights in Dublin.   So excited!

• La says:

Ah! This is fabulous. It’s like a celebrity coming to Glasgow. I reccomend the west end of Glasgow. You will love it: lots of cyclists, a lovely array of coffee shops and gift shops and lots of lovely things to see. The main streets are Byres Road and Great Western Road, and they are both wonderful! A few coffee shops you should check out are Artisan Roast (next to a bike shop) (On Gibson Street) and Kember and Jones (On Byres Road).

Theres lots of delicious places to eat too! Pretty much anywhere is delicious and we have traditionally Scottish places..but they are a bit hard to digest (I feel anyways!). It sounds like a fantastic trip. Scotland is really beautiful and has lots of magnificent scenery!

I also love how you were on my site! Thank you. I love yours and you have inspired me so much to get some confidence with cycling.

I hope you have a lovely trip and take lots of photos!x

• Simeon says:

I think once you visited the West Coast of Scotland, you want to go back and visit some of the islands by bike and spend a few weeks island  hopping. Also another part of the UK to visit is the Lake Distict and Yorkshire Dales National Parks which again best done on a bike.

• La says:

I hope you have a lovely trip and take lots of photos!x

• Eric Nolan says:

With regards to Dublin…

St. Patrick’s Day is actually the 17th but in an effort to entrap more tourists it’s been turned in to a multi day festival recently.  =)http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/

There is a public bike scheme in Dublin now.  Supposedly it’s one of the most successful of it’s kind in the world.  You can get a three day ticket for €2 which allows you to use the system and so long as you don’t keep a bike for more than 30 minutes you don’t need to pay anything else.  Take a bike, cycle to the next thing you want to see, leave the bike at the nearest station.  Unfortunately it covers a relatively small area but if you are willing to pay a fairly small amount to keep the bike for longer than 30 minutes you can go further afield and bring the bikes back when you are done.

The Book of Kells in Trinity College is well worth seeing if you like old books and libraries.  Christ Church Cathedral and/or Dublinia which are right next to each other and near Trinity are interesting.  Kilmainham Gaol has an good exhibition and guided tour and if you go there you might as well have a look at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham which also houses the Museum of Modern Art.

This is a web page by a guy who, in 2011, replicated photographs taken by Charles Cushman in 1961.  Hover over the 1961 pictures to see what they look like in 2011.  Not particularly relevant but I think it’s interesting how many cyclists there were 50 years ago (and the modern pictures might help you decide if you’d be comfortable cycling in our traffic!)

I hope you have a great time both here and in Scotland.

3. Duncan says:

” The Sound of Waves” -great choice if you’re reading Mishima, and so different from the rest of his work, which can be very dark and disturbing

4. Duncan says:

5. Maggie W says:

My Tuesday Farmer’s Market.  It is on the way home from work and the bike racks are right next to the action.  I wouldn’t want to ever drive there cause it is so close to the beach.  That area gets nutty and congested, especially when the weather gets warmer.

6. Maggie W says:

7. Elisa M says:

Riding to a bookstore is a favorite activity of mine as well…especially if there is a stop for coffee and a pastry!

8. WOWZA..Dottie I am sooo excited for you and Mr. Dottie…Ireland and Scotland are two of the places I most want to visit!  Will you be cycling while over there?  Can’t wait to read about your journey and see your amazing photos!
    An Irish Prayer:
           May God grant you always…
           A sunbeam to warm you,
           A moonbeam to charm you,
           A sheltering angel,
           So nothing can harm you.

9. Kara says:

Ok, this trip will be amazing. I am so excited for you! Hopefully you will be able to go for some scenic bike rides in that glorious countryside.

10. Andrea Sue says: