Another Windy City Commute

The shining sun this morning lured me out to the Lakefront Trail, away from my usual route to work.  Once I got onto the trail, I realized that there was an extremely strong headwind, the kind that slows me down by half.

I started to feel grumpy (this was pre-coffee, people!) but I stopped myself and decided to focus on all the good.  My path was clear, the sky had a subtle pink tint, and the spindly trees looked cool.  I could turn my face up to the sun and feel the slight warmth on my skin.

And turning the corner near the end of my ride and seeing this view is always good for morale.

In the afternoon, I treated myself to this bad boy for my hard work and as a fortification for my ride home.

Sometimes the wind turns on me as a cruel joke during the day, so I was a little worried about taking the lakefront home in the evening, but I couldn’t resist and this time I had the wind at my back.

That is the story of my windy city commute today.  Bike commute number 1,174 – approximately.  :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Another Windy City Commute

1. Bill Ruhsam says:

The first image on this post is fabulous.

2. anniebikes says:

I love the first photo. It sure was a strong wind! I’m glad you notice the trees at this time of year. They may lack color but the network of branches often look like spiders or lace. I’ve seen the same here. And the beauty of our lake and yours shines with an amazing clarity. Robins are signing, a sure sign that spring is coming to Vermont. Any birds chirping in Chicago?

3. bikinginheels_cycler says:

Gah, it’s been really windy this week!   I had to stand up on the pedals (on my DL-1)  to move forward at all at one notoriously wind-tunnel-like spot on my ride on Sunday.
    It’s funny, there are always spots that are super windy, probably because of the built-environment and or the river/ ocean winds.

The loveliness of the view makes up for it though!  And macarons!

4. Anne from Geneva says:

Wonderful photos!  Thanks for sharing.  :)
    ::coffee::

5. Bikingbugpaul says:

Hi dottie I have been enjoying your site for the past two yrs.I live in northern california because of your bike adventures in the chicago area, through sunshine and snow,I almost feel like I’am living there you have inspired me to ride my bike and just enjoy the outdoors, I look forward to all your future adventures,Thanks.

6. Seriously- that skyline pic is just gorgeous!   I lived on the south side of the city in middle school, and never quite got to see as much of downtown as I would have liked.  Can’t get enough of that beautiful city scape next to the lake.  Thanks for sharing!

7. leafygreene says:

I so love your blog!  As someone comments below, I love your pictures of Chicago as you bike around.  It really brightens my day to click on LGRAB and see a new post.  I want to say a big thank you!

8. aem2 says:

What a gorgeous ride. But how did you limit yourself to only one macaron? I’m baffled.

9. Joe says:

In northern WI. we had a little wind on the 29th too. Steady 39 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Unfortunately it also brought 12-18″ of snow. First time this year it’s actually looked like winter.