One Year’s Difference

Exactly one year ago today, I posted about biking in the snow after several inches fell over Christmas, adding to the snow that had already fallen throughout December.  The temperature was in the teens.  My studded tires had been on Oma for two weeks.

This year, snow is non-existent.  The temperature is in the mid-30’s.  A raincoat over a sweater is enough to keep me warm and protected.  I’m still riding my Betty Foy and have not yet bothered to pull out Oma’s studded tires.  This kind of weather is more like the winters I experienced when I lived in Nashville.

I’m certainly not complaining about this surprising situation!  (As long as it’s not due to global climate change or anything.)

There are fewer bicyclists on the road now, which makes me think that many people automatically put away their bikes when the winter months roll around, without considering whether conditions are actually bad enough to justify it.

For those still on their bikes and new to winter cycling, check out the LGRAB Guide to Winter Bicycling.

18 thoughts on “One Year’s Difference

1. anniebikes says:

Oh yes, it is pretty balmy this year. Last year was certainly an anomaly (we hope). I still have my bike in the garage, waiting for a dry spell. We are expecting snow and ice today. No studded tires here, but I have high hopes for a bit more riding before the real winter sets in. Where’s your cheery red coat?

2. Cycler says:

Super warm in Boston too- I’ve seen a slight drop off in cyclists, but not that much- maybe at 80% of peak. Lots of people biking around at off hours (nights and weekends) getting wherever they’re going, not just commuting to work. I was in a little convoy this morning that was 100% Bike Commuter Stereotype guys, but they were too slow, and I dropped them :)

3. Donnarino says:

This year is supposed to be an “el nina” winter so mild to moderate. No complaints from me but we had wet snow last night and then a flash freeze this morning so Toronto’s roads are pretty icy this morning. Should melt when the temp rises again for the rest of the week.

• Dottie says:

Interesting. A month or two ago, I was reading predictions that this winter was going to be one of the worst ever for Chicago. I think they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Puddles turned to ice this morning in Chicago, too, but luckily there were not many of them.

4. Donnarino says:

5. This makes me even more excited to finally move back to the city where bikes make more sense.

6. This makes me even more excited to finally move back to the city where bikes make more sense.

7. “There are fewer bicyclists on the road now, which makes me think that many people automatically put away their bikes when the winter months roll around”

I get the same impression here

8. Only the hardiest souls can survive winter commuting! Pedal On!

9. Sigrid says:

I am LOVING this weather. 40+ degrees here today. I feel like I am in NorCal (minus the winter rain!!) ~ can’t complain. However, I did ‘put away’ my bicycle and have been riding her on the trainer to stay ‘fit’. We have had some nuisance snow a few times that the city decided to lay a ton of chemicals and salt on the roads to combat, I don’t want to have to clean that off every time I go out (I did twice and it was so not worth it), nor can I afford the end of winter maintenance bill. I may sound like a loser, but my man who winter bikes in the worst of it has discouraged me from heading out thus far due to ice patches and the chemicals. He should know, he just brought his winter bike in for a tune up after 2 winters of riding and the thing was in sorry shape, and now so is his wallet. I’ve been dreaming of a winter bicycle this year – but I think that is because this is the first year riding in the winter seemed feasible. Sun and warm weather will do that to a girl…play tricks on the mind. :)

• Dottie says:

Happy for you and the warm Minn weather! It’s so annoying when chemicals and salt are more of a problem than actual snow and ice. Lucky for me, that has not started in Chicago yet.

10. Karen says:

We’re experiencing a warm spell here in Flagstaff. Although the temps are in the 20’s on my ride to work they have gotten into the high 40’s and low 50’s on my late afternoon ride home. Of course, when the sun is out it always feels warmer than it really is here. I’ve been on my bike all week and really needing it. The ice and snow on the roads and bike paths have kept me cooped up in a car.

11. Inspiredcyclist.word press.com says:

Glad you are still getting to ride! Even though it is similar weather in NY I haven t been riding much. A ride on Sunday would be a nice way to begin 2012…

12. [...] may be looking for a more sweeter nickname as opposed to a comical one…Powered by Yahoo! AnswersMaria asks…what do you think about this guys?well here goes, me and the girl whom i will court, (s…iv class="dtm-content">what do you think about this guys?well here goes, me and the girl whom i will [...]