Deck the Bike with Holiday Lights

Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Every year around the holidays, I think about how cool it would be to go all out with Christmas lights on my bike. And every year I punk out by throwing on ribbon and a couple of ornaments.

Not so this year!

I finally bought a string of battery-operated lights, one that’s colorful and blinks in fun patterns. Installing it on my bike was easy – I simply wrapped it around, starting from the handlebars, down along the top tube, and ending at the rack, where I tucked the battery pack under my cargo straps.

This set up makes me ridiculously happy. (It’s the little things that count.)

Plus, I’m the most visible bike out there by far! :)

Do you decorate your bike? I know several of you put lights on your bikes and encouraged me to do the same, so thanks!

Tagged , , , , , ,

103 thoughts on “Deck the Bike with Holiday Lights

1. G.E. says:

I fully intended to go all out with Christmas lights on the bike this year, and never quite got around to it. I suppose there is still time, but I just wish I’d been a little more on top of things! Your bike looks incredibly festive and as bright as the city lights. :)

• Dottie says:

Wishing I’d been more on top of things is the story of my life, so it’s a small miracle that I got around to buying and putting on the lights. :)

2. Too cute! I was inspired by other folks’ talking about decking their bikes and decided to follow suit: http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m623/msbcozad/Christmasrose.jpg

I get lots of smiles from joggers and other cyclists.

3. Sarah W. says:

So festive! I bet you make everyone smile.

4. Illiniwu says:

do share where you bought yours! i found these light up necklaces at a gift shop and hung on the back of my rear basket. the lights are very tiny though.

5. Van says:

The lights look good. We do a annual Christmas Lights Cruise here and this year we had around 30 decorated and lit bikes http://locojoe.com/coasters/archives/902-Twas-The-Night-Of-The-Christmas-Lights-Cruise.html

6. Van says:

The lights look good. We do a annual Christmas Lights Cruise here and this year we had around 30 decorated and lit bikes http://vanscyoc.net/blog/archives/874-Christmas-Lights-Cruise.html

7. Pammie and the Ps says:

I just noticed some lights in the bike shop this weekend – now I completely am ready to rock the bike Christmas Lights! Happy Holidays!

8. Pammie and the Ps says:

9. anniebikes says:

You did it Dottie! Yay. An d it does look festive. I’ll be interested to hear about peoples comments on your bike. I don’t decorate my bike for the holidays, though I always have a plastic flower on the front bag year-round.

10. Ti says:

I saw you shooting these pics on the ride home last night and it brought a huge smile to my face. I was so jealous of your holiday bling! Happy holidays!

11. cycler says:

So much fun! My lights (and wreath this year) get so much positive reaction from pedestrians and drivers- almost makes me wish I could leave them on all year! I’m afraid though that that would stray from charmingly eccentric to a more than a little odd.

• Dottie says:

Ha – that’s what I was thinking! I would love to keep Christmas lights on year-round, but then I would be the crazy bike lady for sure.

Wreaths on bikes look so classy. Nice touch. :)

12. LC says:

Brill! Mine only go round the rear wicker basket I have. The first photo is absolutely stunning! Merry Xmas :D x

13. Lauren says:

that is too cool! i’ve been wanting to deck my bike out but i haven’t gotten around to it… yours is, er, brilliant! haha! :)

14. Alyssa_terese says:

I decorated my bike with a mini wreath and a mini strand of lights. I love how it increases my visibility and seems to spread joy everywhere I pedal.

15. Margyartgrrl says:

My wreathe and lights make me super happy. Little Red likes to dress up.

16. Kara says:

Best. Christmas. Bike. Ever.

17. JennyRilling says:

My mixte getting ready to go on a Christmas lights group ride.

18. Elnorzat says:

I’ve got tinsel wrapped around the frame, but love the bike lights. Considering a santa hat on my helmet for Friday 23rd. Singing Christmas Carols as I ride.

19. I decorate my bike on December 1st, and take it off after Christmas. This year I’m going to remove the colored lights and just wrap the frame in white LED’s until the mornings start getting light again.

20. Sue says:

Dottie, that first photograph is gorgeous – made me smile.

21. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

Oh wow, your bike loos absolutely amazing!

22. Scott says:

Dottie, this is so cool!

23. Taryn says:

I haven’t used holiday lights, but got some Bike Glow lights this year: http://bikeglow.com. I get lots of comments on them and love how they’ve increased my visibility at night. They are more expensive than holiday lights, but they’ve held up through a full season of Oregon rain for me and are a great year round light option!

24. daniel montero says:

Awesome, happy holidays!

25. Awesome interactive bike….

26. BikesWithLights says:

We like to do something similar, but with a lot more lights. It’s a fun way to share holiday spirit and ride safely after dark. Our photos are at bikeswithlights.com