Biking to Harpo Studios

Yesterday was a special day for me, thanks to good luck. I won tickets to a taping of The Rosie Show where Tori Amos was the guest, by writing an essay about my love for her music. When I got there, they sat me front row center, the best seat in the house!

Rosie tapes her show in Harpo Studios, where Oprah used to tape. Riding there from my office was a breeze, since I could take the Kinzie protected bike lane and side streets the whole way. Riding from there back home was a little crazed and stressful. I wasn’t familiar enough with the area to attempt side streets at night, so I took a main route full of fast traffic, which then detoured because of construction, putting me on an even busier street, and *ugh* reminding me why I prefer side streets. At the same time, the experience also reminded me that I can confidently handle the messy stuff when it comes my way.

Outside Harpo Studios, I was disappointed that I couldn’t find bike parking, forcing me to lock to a light pole. There is very little bike parking in the West Loop neighborhood in general.

Here is the view from my seat in the studio, not zoomed in, right after the show ended when we were finally allowed to take pictures. You can see Rosie to the right and Tori’s piano straight ahead.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Tori in concert at the Chicago Theater on Saturday night, a sold out show. Chicago Theater is the best for seeing bigger concerts.

Okay, I’m done with my fangirl stuff. (Everyone has a favorite artist they’d be super excited to see up close…right?)

The weather in Chicago is back to being oddly warm. It’s in the 40’s now and will get up to the 50’s tomorrow. Weird but good for winter cycling!

Tagged , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Biking to Harpo Studios

1. cris says:

My favorite artist to see live is Leonard Cohen, and I had the fortune to see him way back when he was still touring to support The Future and before his zen monk hiatus. Amazing, amazing live show. When he started recording and touring again more recently, some friends of mine offered to sell me a ticket to a sold-out show but it conflicted with a bike tour that I was planning into the Berkshires. Such a dilemma!

Congrats on winning ticket!. That’s a pretty rad way to score a front row center seat.

• Tastones says:

You could have ridden your bike as far as the theatre, seen him, and continued on, completely inspired…

• cris says:

would that I could have! Unfortunately the timing for the itinerary was such that I was going to be about 120 miles away on the day of the concert. That’s a bit much for a detour ;)

• cris says:

2. cris says:

Congrats on winning that ticket!. That’s a pretty rad way to score a front row center seat.

3. Mamavee says:

rosie is looking right at you. Pretty cool! I saw Tori once in NYC at the little theater at mad square garden ( can’t remember what it’s called) it was awesome and intimate.

That chicago theater reminds me of the Beacon theater in NYC which was one of my fav places to see people. Back in HS I saw Sinead O’Conner there and it was like the best thing ever. Esp since she did my Fav song as her encore. Boy- that was a long long time ago….

• cris says:

I remember seeing a fantastic Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds concert at the Beacon Theatre about eight or nine years ago. At the end, I got up turned around and was all “OH HAI Chloe Sevigny” as she was sitting right behind me. Also have fond memories of seeing Sigur Ros at the Beacon … though some of those memories are also bleeding into seeing them at the Berklee theatre in Boston.

4. Mamavee says:

• cris says:

5. That is pretty neat! Would love to hear more about your experience of the show and TA’s performance in it as compared to concert performances.

6. That is pretty neat! Would love to hear more about your experience of the show and TA’s performance in it as compared to concert performances.

7. Jennifer in Scotland says:

Glad to hear that your considerable writing skills helped you win this amazing seat. That sounds a great experience.

One of my nicest memories of my trip last year is coming up out of the subway, seeing the Chicago sign lit up and getting some serious tingles.

8. Jennifer in Scotland says:

9. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

How cool that you won tickets to see someone you admire. That rocks! Congrats Dottie!

10. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

11. WOW! Super cool that you got to see Tori in concert!! I was playing one of her CD’s in the library the other day (I’m an elementary school librarian) and one of the 2nd graders said “she sounds like a fairy princess”. Good description. :) I’m so thrilled you got to see her in concert TWICE! Great job on navigating the busy, unfamiliar streets. Go get ‘em!

12. Guest says:

Wow! Lucky you! I’ve only seen Tori once, in VA Beach. Go ahead and revel in your fangirl bliss!

13. amanda_r0se says:

Love your coat!! Happy Holidays, Dottie!

14. WOW! Super cool that you got to see Tori in concert!! I was playing one of her CD’s in the library the other day (I’m an elementary school librarian) and one of the 2nd graders said “she sounds like a fairy princess”. Good description. :) I’m so thrilled you got to see her in concert TWICE! Great job on navigating the busy, unfamiliar streets. Go get ‘em!

15. Anonymous says:

16. amanda_r0se says:

Love your coat!! Happy Holidays, Dottie!