A New Red Coat on the Bike Path

Bright red seems like the best color for city cycling, getting drivers’ attention while still looking stylish off the bike. Chic, classic, and bold.

For this reason, I’ve been searching for the perfect red coat for two years, especially since seeing this post on Copenhagen Cycle Chic. Yesterday, the miraculous happened: I finally found “my” red coat. I was walking through Anthropologie during my lunch break, which I often do to torture myself because I usually can’t afford their beautiful clothes, when I spotted this unique red trench for half off.

Everything about the coat is perfect for me. The bright red “hi-vis” color. The classic trench styling. The length. The cinched waist with a bow.

And the laced back! Just the kind of quirky, personal touch I love.

Best of all, the coat will get me through three Chicago seasons: fall and spring over whatever I happen to be wearing, winter with a cashmere or wool sweater and my lightweight windbreaker underneath. There’s a nice lining that makes it a bit more substantial than the usual trench.

Plus, the red matches my other Oma accessories.

I also purchased something else on sale that I’ve been searching for: a digital camera. I wanted an affordable compact camera with manual controls and sharp photos, which I found in the Panasonic Lumix LX-5. I love shooting film, but for blogging purposes digital is faster and cheaper.  I (and my huge gloved hands) will be able to post more daily photos of my commute, more quickly. Yay!

Moving beyond consumerism to talk about actual biking, I had a lovely commute this morning.  I took the Lakefront Trail for the first time in a while.  I’m going to make a video of this route (with HD video on my new camera!) because it’s so beautiful.

Pure bliss = rolling on Oma down the quiet trail, listening to Jill Scott, enjoying the sun in my face and the wind at my back. Makes me wonder why I ever bother riding to work among car traffic.

Now is the best time of year to bike the trail – the crowds have left, but ice is not yet encroaching from the lake.

The weather today is suddenly colder, in the low-20′s. Winter is pushing its way through, slowly but surely. At least I have my red coat. :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “A New Red Coat on the Bike Path

1. martha williams says:

Seriously cute! Love the corset detailing. I’ve been looking for a red raincoat to make those cold rainy days happier. I think it might be coming for Christmas… but then again, it might not. Hate waiting!

2. April says:

Ha! That looks a LOT like a coat I’ve owned for several years, that I got at Forever 21. Mine is navy blue and doesn’t have the cool lacing in the back (daaaang I love that) but it’s also a trench-style, with a really full “skirt” and a belt that ties in a bow. It’s mostly wool and I love it so damn much. I get compliments on it all the time!

3. anniebikes says:

I’ve never seen a coat like that…very unusual, yet stylish and fun. You deserve a new coat after being so thrifty any other time. And yes, a blogger also deserves a digtal camera. I have a 60.00 Kodak that suits my purpose quite well. Looking forward to your lakefront video. For us non-Chicagoans, that would be a treat. I’ve heard so much about the trail and would love to “see” it.

4. Jax+Puzzle says:

I love your new coat, Dottie! I also recently purchased a red raincoat at Anthropologie for about half off. Anthro is expensive, but their clothes generally last a long time and they have great sales. I hope you get many happy miles out of your new trench :-)

5. Jen Hill says:

Beautiful coat- the lacing makes it! Good point about the red as well. Reminds me of an article I once read in the Sunday Styles section of the NYTimes that stated “in NYC your coat is your car”, so the synergistic effect of Oma + coat must equal something like Lamborghini :)

6. I am a fan of red coats in dreary weather; got one from J Crew on clearance last year precisely for this purpose. Yours looks great on you, and I like the quality of Anthropologie clothing.

7. Kara says:

Yay! That red coat is perfect. And it does fit your with your bicycling style nicely. I am an Anthro lurker myself. I am always ready to pounce on that perfect item when it goes on sale.

8. Cycler says:

ooh, lovely! I might have to go check out Anthropologie on my way home :)
    I love my red coat- wore it today on one of the first cold days we’ve had since October. Thrifted Max Mara with a thinsulate liner- warm and stylish!

I have a similar fascination with silver coats, which are (slightly reflective) but still classy looking, but I’ve had bad luck with the construction and durability of the ones I’ve had so far.

9. Bicyclekitty says:

Gorgeous! Stylish! Visible! What else could a girl want. Good find.

10. Marita says:

Oh wow, that coat is to-die-for beautiful! I have been searching for a perfect red winter coat for ages too. If only Anthropologie made things in my size. :(

On the positive side, I found an amazing vintage winter white wool coat with a real (or fake…? I’m not sure) fur collar. It’s got 3/4 length sleeves and an A-line cut, sort-of 60′s Jackie O style. I LOVE it as it goes perfectly with my white mixte SOMA frame and silver sparkley nutcase :) The only concern is I don’t know how long I’ll be able to wear it into winter with shorter sleeves, unless I wear arm warmers or something… Oh well, here’s to stylish winter cycling for now!

11. Amy says:

OMG. I love the lacing on the back of your coat! Beautiful! The Lumix is a great little camera. I’ve got an LX3. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that it takes FOREVER to move pictures from the camera to the laptop. I wish I knew why, or what would be faster. I would use it more if I could solve that little issue.

12. Tanya Brown says:

LOVE the coat!! I agree that red in winter (contrasting with all the gray and white snow) is the perfect color for visibility. The coat is so cute- and makes Oma look even classier! :)

13. Sue says:

Wow! What a lovely sight you must have been today on the Lakefront trail.

14. Carol says:

I love it when something is practical, functional, and beatuiful!

You once mentioned that cold toes were a problem. When I danced in college, we had these pointe shoe toe pads that cushioned our toes; mine were gel, but others had lambs wool or synthetic. Essentailly, the cushions (ouch pouch is a name I seem to recall) fit over the toes like to toe box of a sock. They would probably be best if worn over tights and undersocks. Of course you could always go the retro route and stuff the toe of the boot with lamb’s wool (fond also at dance stores or a spinning/fiber shop).

My favorite tried and true quick fix to prevent wet, cold toes; slip a plastic grocery bag -sans holes- over your sock and slip into your favorite boot. I have used this trick to get my motorcycle boots into the rubber rain overboots. On one particularlly ride, when I forgot my rainboots, the weather turned and became cold and wet. My feet became so numb that I couldn’t feel the shifter or the brake. I pulled off under an awning slipped off rain soaked leather boots, peeled off drenched socks, dried off my cold numb feet, slipped on a dry pair of socks, then 2 grocery bags over each foot, and finally the soggy boots. My feet stayed warm for the rest of the ride.

I hope one of these works for you. There’s nothing worse than cold extremities!!

15. Carol says:

I love it when something is practical, functional, and beatuiful!

16. Karen says:

I love the trench! You are stylishly visible. I have a red car coat, purchased several years ago at Target that I love for it’s clean lines and visibility. I want to replace the button but it still makes me feel amazing.

17. Karen says:

18. Anonymous says:

That

19. Sam says:

That coat is absolutely stunning in every way. You have a very good eye.

20. Jessie K. says:

I’ve been looking for the perfect winter coat for ages, and just a few days ago I ordered some bright red wool to make my own. I wasn’t thinking about visibility on my bike (all I knew was that I had to have it!), but now you’ve given me another great justification for my purchase. I love the lacing detail on your coat–I may just have to incorporate something like that in mine.

21. Jessie K. says:

22. Gordon Inkeles says:

Lovely coat! Alas, red does not have good visibility at dusk. For that you’d have to wear bright yellow or white.

23. Kari Pederson says:

I know this is an older post, but I just had to say….. Dottie, THAT COAT IS AWESOME. It is awesomeness….. IN A COAT. good score!

24. [...] Friday: red trench, cashmere sweater, Burberry skirt, tights, flats. [...]

25. Kara says: