Video: a calm Chicago bike commute

Here is a little video I made of my morning bike commute through relatively quiet side streets. Not the most interesting video ever, but I wanted to show how it’s possible to commute into downtown Chicago while avoiding busy streets and scary traffic. This is part of the quiet route that I often take, which I blogged about a few months ago here.

[UPDATE: May not work for international readers. Sorry!]

It’s hard to hear what I’m saying in the beginning and my memory card became full about 1/4 of my way to work, but you get the idea. The speed is 2.5x faster than reality.

I’m no Leslie Knope with iMovie, so please excuse the poor quality. (If you don’t get that reference, you didn’t watch Parks & Rec tonight – shame on you.)

Major shout-out to super sweet reader Ambrose, who gifted me her old bike camera mount after I posted my last ridiculously shaky handheld video. It made a huge difference. Thank you!!

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Video: a calm Chicago bike commute

1. Kara says:

Nice Leslie Knope shout out!

Your commute looks so doable. Not scary at all.

2. anniebikes says:

It’s a nice, quiet ride. I’m glad you made the effort to discover a new route to work. I hope this encourages other Chicago riders to get out there. I am thrilled that just this week in my town the citywide speed limit was lowered. Can you believe it?

3. Loxely says:

What a lovely commute. Thoroughly enjoyed the video. I commute a couple of miles in Watford uk; it’s a constant progression through grimy lorries, nose-to-tail cars and pedestrians who don’t seem to know who a cycle lane is for. I always enjoy reading your blogs, they remind me that cycling has a very pleasant calm side to it. Lovely

4. Zweiradler says:

This video is not available in Germany. Ugh. It’s the copyright mafia (GEMA) again.

Nico

5. same problem for me, I can’t see it cause I’m in Germany ;)

6. Simply Bike says:

This was so fun, it’s like we’re right there riding along with you! Cute video! And I really like the song, who’s the band?

7. Lauren says:

very cool! thank you for sharing this :)

8. Lauren says:

very cool! thank you for sharing this :)

9. Philippe says:

I can see it in France, FWIW.

10. Harold Potter says:

Thanks for a glimpse of your commute! I only ride for recreation [plus the occasional trip to corner store], but I enjoy cruising up and down residential streets, taking in flower beds and front gardens. A couple more potholes, and your streets would be on par with those in southern California.

11. Mamavee says:

hey very cool! The speeded up version does freak me out though- I thought you were going to crash into a pick up and that first SUV seemed to come from Nowhere. But yeah- it looks like my rides on the quiet streets!

FYI check this out for copyright free music. I have yet to try it but I think this will fix my FB issue ( it won’t let me post videos with any of my own itunes music…..) obviously you don’t have full range of music but it’s better than lame imovie free music.

12. john h says:

Love the commute video, zipping with gloves totally frustrates me. I usually save them for last.

13. David B says:

I’m struck by the percentage of the Chicago real estate that is devoted to storing transportation devices (i.e. our cars and trucks) on hard-earned transportation corridors (paved streets and boulevards) when not in use.
    Just think about how easy Dottie’s commute would be if she didn’t have to navigate around all that empty sheet-metal-on-wheels while on her way to work. Those parked vehicles that Dottie so deftly navigates around are used maybe one tenth of the time at most. Lets get more Urbanites to give up their cars and get on their bikes!

14. laura mchardie says:

Wow – Chicago looks lovely and flat, gotta say very jealous!

15. Les Connally says:

Being from down here in Texas, I am always nervous riding in Chicago.. Lots more parked cars on the street EVERYWHERE up there, with lots more doors waiting to door me! My friend comes down here to Texas and is nervous about the pickup trucks speeding past at 50 miles an hour, that I ignore..

• LGRAB says:

Yeah, I really hate all the parked cars. Their presence is definitely the worst thing about my quiet commute. That’s one reason bicycling in Nashville feels so lovely and free to me – far fewer parked cars. Although traffic does go faster there, so it’s a trade-off.

16. Michellebrown232 says:

Lovely morning ride. Your streets are so flat too not like where I come from (Brisbane, Australia) where it’s very hilly.

17. Maggie says:

Ooh I just love Chicago and bike commute videos.

Here is my commute to work
    This is my SoCal beach commute home

Anybody else have commute videos they want to share?

18. Inspiredcyclist says:

Thanks so much for sharing your ride! You looked adorable, I enjoyed seeing what youmexperience, and I Loved the song! perfection! Thanks

19. Julia says:

Hah, I love how we all look at this as a nice, straight-forward urban commute, whereas one of your youtube comments warns you to be careful on your not “bike friendly street.”
    Optimistically, I chalk it up to a matter of perspective.
    Pessimistically, I fear that people still aren’t quite getting “it.”

20. Dennis Hindman says:

Los Angeles’s new bike plan has a lot of streets that LADOT will attempt to make into bicycle friendly streets like your route to work. Looking at some of them on Google Maps recently, I realize that some secondary streets in the city are as crowded with cars as the primary streets. It’s gonna be a tough task to make many of them bike friendly without taking some space away from drivers, which will upset a lot of people. I hope Chicago’s new mayor doesn’t get enough backlash to stop him from installing 100 miles of protected bike lanes in the next four years.