Lights in the Dark

Now that the sun sets completely by 4:30, I’m sad that my evening commutes are always in the dark.  On the bright side, this gives me the opportunity to enjoy all the beautiful lights that are now decorating downtown for the holidays.  Kind of makes my commutes feel magical.

Of course, I have my own lights, too, but those are not pretty.

Maybe this will be the year when I finally take the time to figure out how to string Oma with Christmas lights. :)

Tagged , , , ,

14 thoughts on “Lights in the Dark

1. I was delighted to discover that many homes had put up outdoor lights over the Thanksgiving weekend. It’s making the evening commutes much more joyful.

2. Cycler says:

Shouldn’t be too hard to string Oma with lights- you just need LED’s with a battery pack, a basket, and a couple of zipties. I got through almost the whole season last year with one charge of the rechargeable batteries. People love the lights, and I think it has a huge “mary poppins” type effect.

I’m thinking of buying a string of solar powered LED lights for my postage stamp sized front yard- add a little cheer to my neighborhood.

3. Cycler says:

4. I love that first picture of the gazebo. If I had my camera and tripod… oh, wait! I will! I’m sure there’s a gazebo somewhere on my route!

I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one who experiences a sort of magic in riding at night. My greatest moment ever, though, was riding at 2am in a very dark area at the south side of my neighborhood and facing north just as a brilliant meteor shot across the northern sky.

5. Luke Wilson says:

Here you go, http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=battery+powered+x-mas+tree+lights&hl=en&rlz=1C1_____enUS459US459&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=493&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10958115956074257424&sa=X&ei=RKrWTpCGDqrv0gG_4YnrAQ&ved=0CHUQ8wIwAA

6. Carolyn I. says:

Christmas lights would look so cool on a bike!

I love biking at this time of year with all the lights on the houses…it cheers me right up. I should put mine up…

7. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

I hear IKEA has battery operated Christmas lights….It could be fun to try! And it certainly would help with visability.

8. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

9. Eco-cyclist says:

I bought a set of LED battery operated lights at Walgreens a couple years ago and each year during this season I decorate the bike for my commutes. We also do a Christmas light bike ride to see all the lights in one of the fancy neighborhoods nearby. We drink hot chocolate from our water bottles and have a great time. I think you should decorate Oma and turn those dark commutes home into a rolling light show!

10. AKA60643 says:

I few years ago, I bought some battery powered LED lights for my bike. It was a cheap, easy way to really light up the bike. I found mine on Ebay. They have quite a selection.

• LGRAB says:

As luck would have it, there was a groupon yesterday for LED battery operated lights, so I bought a string. I’m excited to decorate my bike this year!

11. Eric Asberry says:

I ordered some LED lights from Amazon that use AA batteries and put them on my bike. I love ‘em :) https://twitter.com/#!/EricAsberry/status/141855502089977857/photo/1

12. ericasberry says:

I ordered some LED lights from Amazon that use AA batteries and put them on my bike. I love ‘em :) Here’s a picture of them on my bike: https://twitter.com/#!/EricAsberry/status/141855502089977857/photo/1

13. Stephanie says:

love your photos! which camera did you use?