It’s that time of year…

When I start to look like the Red Barron -

And I have to remove and carry around a bunch of layers and accessories -

Before I look like myself again.

Is everyone else pulling out their hats, ear muffs, gloves, scarves and coats? (Snow is in today’s forecast!)  Or are you smarter than me, living in a warm climate? :)

Here’s our advice on dressing for winter biking, if anyone needs it.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

21 thoughts on “It’s that time of year…

1. Matthew Lindsay says:

I’m bundled up in the morning, but not in the late afternoon. So I have to port all that stuff back home.

2. I tried my first cold weather bike ride this morning. I wore tights under my jeans, a windproof jacket, a scarf, a facemask, gloves and an ear band, and I added bar mitts to my bike. I was actually pretty comfortable, if not a bit warm, but there was a lot to take off once I got to work.

3. Dr J says:

We have an unusually warm beginning of November so I put on thin gloves in the morning but in the afternoon I don’t even wear a jacket. Just a very light sweater is enough.

4. Anonymous says:

I’ve been in layers for morning rides for a couple of months! Still trying to solve that ever-present problem of cold fingers! Hooray for wool!

5. Anne says:

Definitely looked like that biking to class today! Though you were much braver than me wearing a skirt and tights. I thought about it and then chickened out and wore jeans and boots!

6. Cycler says:

We’re having a freakishly warm spell with highs starting with a 6. Didn’t even wear tights today-
    but last week was quite chilly, and I broke out the ear pods- which are my #1 improvement to my winter gear from last year. I get overheated with a big bulky scarf the whole ride, but my ears get cold if I take the scarf off. The earpods snap over my ears and keep them toasty. I do have a problem with them falling off, probably partly due to getting hit by my helmet straps, so I sewed little “leashes” onto them, which then snap around my helmet straps. Need to do a post about them.

How have you solved the eye protection question for night cycling? My eyes tear up if they’re not protected from cold wind, but when it’s dark or really flat light, I don’t want to wear my sunglasses.
    I’ve tried safety glasses, but even the “styled” ones look really dorky.

I’m contemplating motocycle goggles like this,

but they seem kind of affected.

7. Michael Richters says:

I put the studded tires and pogies on my family’s bikes last week. We’ve had icy patches on the roads since just after Halloween. Depending on how cold it gets, I might get all the way to December before I’m wearing snow/rain pants, balaclava, and goggles, though.

8. Kara says:

You make the most adorable Red Baron ever.

9. Cyclinmissy says:

It snowed here for the first time today! Big sloppy flakes. Fun!

10. Ginger says:

Here in New Jersey it snowed over Halloween weekend but was in the high 50’s this morning. Short sleeve shirt and bike shorts. Yeah!

11. Scott says:

I had to put socks on and wear something with long sleeves as the temperature dipped into the icy-cold 60-ish range here in SoCal. Still not giving up the shorts yet, though. Yes, I know … I’m a bit spoiled with year-round warm weather, never having to deal with riding in snowstorms. Having grown up in Michigan, I sometimes long for a little snow … but a ride to the beach in shorts and a t-shirt … in January … pretty much cures it for me. It would be fun to try out a Surly Pugsley in the snow, though … ultimate winter commuter bike?

12. Mark Muller says:

I would happily take your cold in exchange of my heat. Before you agree, be warned that it breached 100°F 105 days this year (Austin, TX). However, I don’t want your snow for anything in the world. I don’t miss snow at all.
    That said, it should be in the thirties tomorrow morning – enough to need gloves, long sleeves, and a light hat. In short, perfect weather to ride to work in.

13. Inspiredcyclist says:

You look adorable. Here in NY we are enjoying beautiful autumn weather, mid fifties to midsixties and I’m taking advantage of enjoying the mild temperatures, and the beautiful changing leaves.

14. anniebikes says:

Dottie, your bike now needs wings to complete the aviator ensemble…But seriously, yes, I was wearing ear band, gloves, and coat until the last four days, but tomorrow we are entering the deep freeze again. It’s mother nature’s way of conditioning us for winter: tease us with a couple balmy days before dipping the thermometer even lower.

15. Bethany says:

High 30’s this morning in Kansas City. I rode to work in a wool suit with cotton dress shirt underneath, cotton tights, ankle boots, polartec mittens and a scarf. I will probably need a winter helmet for colder weather. Today I wore a knit liner that covered my ears under my vented helmet. No fogging of my corrective lenses yet.

Riding in cool weather feels SO good. Now that daylight savings time is over, I’ve discovered that I love riding after dark, especially under tonight’s full moon.

16. April says:

Here in Oregon, the rain has started up again, so there’s lots and lots (and lots) of Showers Pass rain jackets….

17. Carolyn says:

I’m all bundled up here now. The snow has come! I was given some clear safety googles for my Summer tour, but I never used them. I will try them this Winter when I’m biking with my contacts on as they don’t fit over glasses. It’ll be nice not to be tearing up in the cold wind, it’s hard to see when eyes are teary.