Chilly but cozy in Chicago

Hello, there! Sorry for the week’s break from posting. I have a bunch of topics piling up, so there will be more frequent blogging now.

Trisha is visiting Chicago again (for a work conference) so we got to commute downtown together this morning and afternoon. We enjoyed our ride on the Lakefront Trail. The weather created a gloomy but atmospheric setting, with misty rain, fog and a placid lake. This effect was exaggerated on the way home, since it was raining a bit and completely dark by 4:30 p.m. due to daylight savings time (I hope everyone has good lights!).

Ever the optimists, we used this as an excuse to tuck into a Scottish pub for fish & chips and whiskey. That’s one reason to like colder weather!  :)

Trisha and Coco

Me and Betty

Lakefront Trail

Sadly, the rain is supposed to pick up tomorrow and we’ll probably be taking the L train.

More tomorrow!

21 thoughts on “Chilly but cozy in Chicago

1. Anonymous says:

Can’t remember the last time I let rain stop me cycling to work, maybe I’m more used to it than you? Snow and ice that’s a different matter, because I’ll wimp out everytime. This week, here in Wales we’ve had a couple of severe frosts and I had to check puddles on the ground hadn’t frozen, before I started pedalling. As usual you both look gorgeous, your fellow commuters on the Lakefront Trail are very lucky, seeing you cycle by.

• David says:

Well I’m going an hour each way in the same rain today (as chicago). I was going to take the bus, but I need the ride………. that’s why we have rain gear and waterproof panniers. But it is a big hassle, and if you have adequate public transportation, wimping out is a good option.
      My boots and gloves are waterlogged (not waterproof, but I have extras). I would much rather ride in the winter, snow and ice!
      I agree, both the ladies are adorable. Not the only reason I read their blog, but one of them.

• Anonymous says:

Here in Wales, we only might have a couple of weeks of snow and ice, so I don’t have ice tyres, I presume you have them to cope with those conditions? Where do you commute/ride your bike?

• David says:

I’m in Madison, WI. Just two hours north of Chicago. I have “ice tires”, if you’re reffering to tires with steel studs in them. However, the use of them up here is debatable. Some people swear by just leaving your road tires on all year, skinny tires to cut through the snow. I’ve seen some use slicks during the icy winters. And others, like myself, are more comfortable with studded tires. It’s all a comfort thing really. The roads all get cleared within a day or two after a snowstorm anyway, but I like being prepared.

• Keiron Curtis2 says:

Cheers David, I’ve had three too many painful falls on ice, so won’t risk riding. How effective are your spiked tyres?

• David says:

• LGRAB says:

I think it’s great that you always ride in the rain. However, in case you are unaware, your comment comes off as offensive, intending to put us in our place as wimpy but adorable women. That may not have been your intention, but that is how it comes off and I wanted to make you aware. We foster LGRAB as a friendly and welcoming place, which extends to the comments section.

• David says:

Wow! Is that towards ME? I didn’t intend it that way at all. I meant I wimp out as the option. Was referring to myself, and the fact that I understood the option of not riding. As I was deabating today.
          WOW! I am reading my comment again, and for the life of me I can’t see how you read it that way. Sensitive!
          Last time I comment here, and visit this blog. SORRRYYYY.

• Julia says:

I must politely agree with David here. I’m not sure I’d love being called “adorable” by a stranger, but it seems to have clearly been intended as a complement.
            I don’t object to (and indeed agree with!) your request that people refrain from language that can be infantilizing. (Indeed, language like this is something that men don’t always fully recognize as being problematic straight off the bat.) But I think it’s only fair to respond to a comment in the spirit with which it was given and you may have reacted a bit too firmly too quickly.

In any case, your ride looks lovely despite the gloom and I am deeply jealous of your fish and chips and whiskey! Now I’m craving the same something fierce…

• LGRAB says:

Thank you for sharing your perspective. You may be right, but in my opinion this is not the first questionable comment and I’ve let others go by silently for years, so I do not feel that I reacted too quickly. I knew that speaking up would create somewhat of an uncomfortable situation, but I personally would have been more uncomfortable remaining silent. I write this blog for fun and try to maintain it as my one little safe and happy place on the internet.

It is unfortunate that a reader is offended to the point that he will not visit again, but there is an endless number of other blogs out there to read.

By the way: this is Dottie only, not speaking for Trisha. :)

2. Misssarahchan says:

Glad you guys are having fun together, and commuting too! I am jealous you only have to wear a cozy sweater.

3. Kara says:

I love it when you girls are reunited! Even if it is just for a couple of days. Such fun!

4. E A says:

Enjoy your stay in Chicago — at least it’s “warm-ish” out there these past couple of dreary days. :-)

5. Yourbeerguide says:

Any idea where I can get one of those flat bungees forvthecrack like on the Betty foy?

6. Michael Richters says:

I’m nitpicking, but I can’t help myself. It’s not “daylight savings time”; it’s “Daylight Saving Time”, as in “we’re saving daylight”. It’s dark in Chicago by 4:30pm because we are no longer on Daylight Time (so it would be closer to being correct to say that “it’s completely dark by 4:30pm due to Standard Time”. It’s easier to remember that Daylight Saving Time happens in the summer (not the winter) if you’re British; they call it “Summer Time” instead.