Interpreting Signs

I’ve been puzzling over this alteration to one of the bike warning signs here in Nashville for some time now, and I’ve decided it’s time to turn it over to you readers.

Is this a statement about cycling scofflaws?
Is it meant to convey something along the lines of “bikes rule, cars drool”?
Or is it just random vandalism?

Feel free to vote on my ideas or share yours in the comments. Happy Friday! Happy Halloween!

Past deep thoughts about Nashville’s bike infrastructure.

16 thoughts on “Interpreting Signs

1. Blithebicyclist says:

Hmm . . . I’d like to think the digit being flourished by the painted rider is a ‘thumbs up’ rather than a finger being used. That, along with the rocky path drawn in, makes me hope the cyclist is wanting to share how wonderful his new mountain bike is. No, really, I’m sticking with that theory. :)

• LGRAB says:

I’m tickled by everyone’s responses! I have yet to see someone texting while biking in Nashville but maybe that is what they’re signaling. :)

2. you can’t define it, it’s art.

3. Luke Wilson says:

The rider is actually just texting

4. Beware of persons sitting on bikes. Makes much more sense than beware of bikes (without persons sitting on them). So: I agree.
    In that specific case, that person on the bike is actually talking via walky-talky (or cellphone) – hard to say. I would not judge on that since I am not familiar with customs and common traditions of Nashville bikers.

5. Tanya says:

I’m just really disturbed that he’s practically sitting on his back tire instead of his saddle and that he only has one leg. I just assume he’s texting- because we all know that texting cyclists are the REAL dangers on the road.

6. anniebikes says:

I agree it’s a disturbing image because it is not clear. If there are folks texting while cycling in Chicago than that is what the statement is about. Otherwise, I tend to think it’s a cyclist giving the finger to motorists. It’s a shame the that someone defaced the sign.

7. NancyB says:

Cyclists are #1?

8. Michael Richters says:

I’d guess that it was not done by an irate anti-cyclist; such a person would have destroyed the sign in some way instead (completely obscure the bike, knock down the sign, et cetera). It’s the work of a cyclist who thinks it’s cool to give the finger to…whomever.

9. Carolyn I. says:

Must be the finger although I’d like to think he’s texting or using a Walkie-talkie. Don’t know what else to say about..perhaps just graffiti?

10. Illiniwu says:

if this was a pedestrian crossing sign (the one where it’s an adult holding a child’s hand), he would’ve painted that same gesture. juvenile!

11. Michael says:

One of two possibilities; either someone really pissed off about the condition of the road surface, or a mountain biker (again the very uneven surface), and just look how far back the rider has shifted his weight – completely off the saddle. What that latter one would be implying, I just don’t know; better to ride off road than on?

12. RobW says:

“Beware, Unskilled Graffiti Artist”…?

13. aem2 says:

See, he’s not on the bike. He’s hunched over beside it, trying to capture a detail on/near the handlebars with his cellphone camera.

14. Dottie says:

Funny! Was there already a person painted on the bike? I think the “artist” is probably a young hipster cyclist (no hate) who’s flipping off cars.

15. San says:

I thought he was asking people to shush as he was riding