Video: Biking in a Protected Lane

A couple of weeks ago, I shared photos of my bike ride through Chicago’s first protected lane on Kinzie Avenue. I love this lane, so now I’m sharing the experience with all of you. Sorry for the jumpy video – the ride is more peaceful than it looks, but Chicago’s streets are bumpy and I was holding the camera in my hand.

Enjoy!

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Video: Biking in a Protected Lane

1. Dave says:

Not sure about others, but the video embed isn’t loading for me… it’s showing that there should be a video there, but the video itself isn’t loading.

• LGRAB says:

Hm. It was working earlier but taking a REALLY long time to load. We will investigate. Sorry for the tech difficulties!

• Dave says:

From looking at the page source, my guess is that because it’s embedding the entire 45mb m4v file, it’s taking a really long time, and maybe not working correctly on all computers. You might try uploading it to like Vimeo or YouTube first and then embedding that.

• LGRAB says:

I (Dottie) fail at technology.

• Dave says:

No worries, I was able to download the video and watch it :) That “exit” for people who need to turn left looks great, and nice that it extends so far. Portland’s two separated paths both only span something like 9 blocks (and we have short blocks), then just turn back into normal painted 5-foot bike lanes.

That’s one of my biggest irritations about Portland, is much of their bicycle infrastructure is incomplete – there are unexpected gaps, and things just end or change suddenly, and there’s not a lot of consistency. That’s part of why I prefer to choose roads without bike lanes when possible (since there are a lot of them that go the same directions and have almost no traffic), because then at least you know what to expect.

• Dave says:

You did, however, just make me realize that I don’t have Quicktime installed (which is probably why the video isn’t actually showing up).

• LGRAB says:

Oh QuickTime. Yes, generally we embed from YouTube but Dottie wanted to use some music that they wouldn’t have approved. If you install the plugin, it will show up eventually, but we’ll probably stick to a more conventional approach in future…

• LGRAB says:

It should be working now.

2. anniebikes says:

Thank you for the video. It’s refreshing to see more and safer bike lanes added. I like the buffer that this lane provides. Since you’ve previously stated that this was on a major thoroughfare, did the city have to take out a driving lane?

I was surprised to see you squeeze by the two cars waiting at the light…I’ve learned the hard way to wait behind the autos. I’ve been cut off too many times by right -turning vehicles that decide at the last second that they can and want to go right on red. I presume that I’ve missed something there?

• LGRAB says:

I’m not sure if the road had two lanes in each direction before or if there was just one extra-wide lane that people used as two to turn and squeeze by each other.

I needed to pull over at the corner to stop my video and put my camera away. That’s why I passed those two cars.

3. Sue says:

Great video… Thanks for taking us along for the ride. It’s cool to see where you ride and the bike lanes are awesome :).

4. RobW says:

Now THAT is how to build a bike lane! Great video for handheld :-)

5. Thanx for showing this video. This place is awsome for riding. Hope to go there and ride myself…

6. Jim morgensen says:

Dotty, this looks like a much more civilized way for a city to deal with all traffic. Nice mix of cars, bikes and pedestrians in a logical manner. Stay warm. Jim

7. Dennis Hindman says:

It’s exciting to see the first of what will be many protected bike lanes in Chicago. Protected bike lanes, or cycletracks, are not mentioned in manuals that street engineers in the U.S. use, such as the manual of uniform traffic control devices, or MUTCD, and so they are not officially sanctioned. To get this changed there needs to be studies or experiments done to prove their safety, and Chicago’s new mayor has guts enough to step-up and get the standards changed by installing 100 miles of them in the next four years.There has only been about 5 cities in the U.S. that have installed protected bike lanes, with Chicago planning to install many times that amount. After they are standardized into traffic engineer manuals, I would expect a large jump in the number of cities installing them.

I live in Los Angeles, and our DOT will not design bikeways beyond the comfort of what is in engineering manuals. Our past three CicLAvias have shown that families with young children will come out in droves to cycle if the conditions are made comfortable and safe. Unfortunately, unprotected bike lanes are not very attractive for families, and only about a sixth of riders on the street are female in the L.A area. Thanks to the actions of Rahm Emmanuel, I’m hoping that protected bike lanes will be in the next update of MUTCD, which could be as early as 2015. That would quicken the pace of cycling increases in the U.S. by making it more irresistable for both males and females, from ages 8 to 80 years old.

8. […] Watch a video I recorded while biking down the Kinzie separated lane. […]