With videos like this . . .

It’s amazing that cycling didn’t catch on for all kids in the 1990s. :) {Via}

9 thoughts on “With videos like this . . .

1. Dottie says:

Hahahahahaha!

Ah, the days when a lame rap was considered the cool way to reach the young generation. Do they still subject kids to stuff like this??

The advice can be summed up as: 1) use common sense; 2) WEAR YOUR HELMET! I swear I never saw a bike helmet in my life until college.

And now this tune will be stuck in my head the rest of the night. Thanks a lot, T.

• NancyB says:

And you probably didn’t have an awesome 8 foot tall fiberglass poled flag stuck on the back of your bike either, which if you were cool, was bent over and wedged under some other part of your bike. No helmet when I was kid either.

2. Redeyedtreefr0g says:

I didn’t think this was that bad, actually. The teaching videos I recall, even recently for adult school bus training, are atrocious. They have bad acting, ridiculous scenarios, and boring points. I’d much prefer to watch this :)
    That said, I’m disappointed that the video stressed helmets so strongly. I’m a supporter of helmet use, but even to me who was watching attentively, they pretty much drowned out the other more important points.

I would LOVE to see more kids on bikes. I was ecstatic the day I saw a train of bikes coming out of the elementary school I ride by on my commute to work. Each group of maybe 12 students were led and followed by an adult in a bright orange vest. I wonder what the occasion was. I rang my bell and waved and grinned a whole bunch.

I drive teenagers to school, none of which live over 2.5 miles from the school, and all within very easy reach of the bike path that goes straight to the rear parking lot of the school. Perhaps I can initiate a bike-to-school day with cupcake bribery…? (Granted, if no one rode the bus I would have no route :P)

3. Ray O says:

Awww… I missed everything when it comes to bike safety films for children. I’m too old to have been subjected to the safety rap and too young too have caught One Got Fat:

4. Frits B says:

If you need an antidote look here: http://www.youtube.com/user/markenlei (eight to eighty). And not a helmet in sight.

5. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

I couldn’t keep a straight face watching this! Oh my!

6. Cupcake Ride says:

This is awesome. I have to share!!

I remember watching a bike safety video that was hosted by Bill Cosby!

It actually was pretty good and had a bit of a shock factor because they would kind of show accidents happening … so the lead up to a collision but the actual impact portion was edited out.

The thing that stuck with me through the years was the door prize and to this day I always check to see if there are people sitting in their cars.

7. Ray O says:

I KNEW this reminded me of an old post of yours! “Teen Witch Cycle Chic” I could swear it’s even the same guy rapping!