The Start of Fall Bicycling!

Today is the first day of fall – my favorite season for bicycling.

Fall cycling is lovely and requires little-to-no preparation. Jumping on your bike in slacks or tights and a sweater will work most days. Nevertheless, I notice a steep decline in bicyclists once the dreadfully hot days of summer are over, so obviously some people need convincing to continue riding their bikes. In light of this, we put together a How To Dress for Fall Cycling guide a couple of years ago and a quick Refresher Course last year.

Incidentally, last night I attended the Bike Winter kick-off meeting. I really don’t want to start thinking about winter yet, but I enjoyed hearing tips and questions from the large group of attendees, both seasoned winter bicyclists and people who plan to try it for the first time. If you’re already thinking this far ahead, check out Bike Winter for lots of great info, as well as the LGRAB Guide to Winter Bicycling and my video on how I dress for winter biking.

Whether you plan to stick it out for the long haul or simply make the best of fall weather before storing your bike for the winter (both reasonable options), I wish you a happy and healthy fall bicycling season.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “The Start of Fall Bicycling!

1. Dan Ciskey says:

It felt good to pull on the wool socks this morning. Nice meeting you at the meeting last night!

2. Dan Ciskey says:

3. Lauren Taylor says:

yay fall cycling! i love love love skirts & tights & denim jackets & scarves. so happy the hot weather is (mostly)over!

4. anniebikes says:

Very stylish, indeed. Here’s to my favorite season also – Happy Autumn!

5. anniebikes says:

Very stylish, indeed. Here’s to my favorite season also – Happy Autumn!

6. anniebikes says:

Very stylish, indeed. Here’s to my favorite season also – Happy Autumn!

7. NancyB says:

I love the fall too and I’m one of those folks who cycles less once school is back in session. A combination of too many commitments after work and an aversion to waking up in the dark. I’ll have to try just jumping on and going, but 13 miles might be little far without a change of clothes. On a side note, I just returned from New Orleans and saw quite a few folks on their bikes, I was jealous.

8. Carolyn I. says:

It’s good to keep on biking even when it is cooling off. Fall is a really nice time of the year with all the colours. I just wish it would stop pouring outside, it’s not so nice right now, I have to wear all my heavy duty rain gear. But the wind is very warm! It’s now dark when I go to work, so having my bike lights working properly on my bike is important.

I will be going on to my second year of Winter biking, it’s not as bad as it sounds. :)

9. Inspiredcyclist.wordpress.com says:

Ahhhh…autumn is hands down my absolute favorite season, crisp blue skies, red and gold leaves, cooler temps, and best of all lower humidity! I can dress nicer, my hair stays decent, and I can wear make up without fearing it will melt off my face as I ride! So here’s to fall! Enjoy every beautiful day of it!

10. Anonymous says:

Fall is by far the best time to ride! My daily commute to work hasn’t been this good… well since last Fall!

One thing I find tough though, is packing for the morning/evening commute. I can comfortably wear pants in the morning, but need to make the switch to shorts in the evening. A little extra luggage, but nothing to sweat over! :)

11. Puck says:

LOL, we have the opposite problem where I am from. I haven’t biked in almost two months because it’s been three-digit weather every day and, today, I just got out on my Oma, basking in the wonderful 88 degree cool streak. Fall is the time to START riding around here! Oh, I am DREAMING of the wonderful days when I will get to pull out the sweaters and this post has just made me yearn for it… Fall, why have you abandoned me?! Our winter may involve almost no snow and forty degrees may be considered FREEZING, but I am dying to have a chance to use your winter tips! Hear me, Weather Angel? Texans love winter wear, too!