Cool Weather, Weekend Plans, New Bike

Fall is here and she’s not playing around. Yesterday I wore a wool sweater, wool skirt, tights, gloves and earmuffs and never got overheated. The past couple of days have been chilly, with morning temps in the high-40′s, low 50′s. Seems a little early in the season for this kind of weather, but I’m enjoying the crisp air.

This weekend I plan to go on a long ride to the Chicago Botanic Gardens, so cooler weather is welcome, as long as it does not rain.

The long ride will give Mr. Dottie the opportunity to really try out his new bike. No one correctly guessed what kind of bike it is, although a couple got close. It’s a Civia Bryant with a belt drive.

Civia Bryant

He’s been obsessed with belt drive systems for a few months, as one would expect from an engineer, but currently there are not many options on the market for belt drive bikes. This week he found a greatly discounted and lightly used floor model Civia Bryant at a local shop and finally made his decision. He’ll be making some changes, including fenders, racks, mustache bars, Brooks saddle, and generator lights. I’m sure they’ll be very happy together and I look forward to seeing it all come together.

Happy weekend!

32 thoughts on “Cool Weather, Weekend Plans, New Bike

1. Steven Fleming says:

2. David Crowell says:

I dunno, a black B-17 would look fine. He could go with silver or black plastic fender rather than wood. That would keep the aesthetic it already has.

What size frame? Where do you live, I’d like to make the bike “disappear”. :)

• LGRAB says:

You’re right on. He already has a black Brooks saddle and silver fenders for it. Frame size is pretty large, like 57 or 58, I think. We have a very secure locking system. ;)

3. Alan@EcoVelo says:

Have fun with your upgrades, Mr. Dottie! The Bryant’s a fun bike for the tech-obsessed. Not sure if you’ve seen it, but here’s my tale of Bryant upgrades: http://www.ecovelo.info/2011/08/17/civia-commuter-remix/

Enjoy!
    Alan@EcoVelo

4. Maven says:

Oh, excellent! I love my Civia Hyland (and love reppin’ for a local company). Alan’s reviews helped me a ton when I was bike-shopping, too.

5. Ray Gallegos says:

Hello Dottie

I just wanted to say thanks for the great blog you and trish do. Your words and images really help me stay focused on why i ride my bike day in and day out. I am from illinois (Genoa, illinois) but currently reside in Chandler, Arizona. Your blog allows me to stop thinking about the 110 degrees outside and into thinking about two of my favorite things in the world which are bicycles and chicago! I do my best to check it everyday along with some of the other great bike blogs. I like LGRAB the best though!

In a response to todays post, i have a belt driven Trek district and find it absolutely fantastic. It is so quiet, light, clean, and maintence free. I think i’ll try to send a pic. I would recommend it to anyone who is interestd a super low maintence way to ride a bike. Your husbands looks awesome. Im sure he’ll love it!

Thanks again for pomoting bicycle awareness!

Ray Gallegos

6. Matthew Christian says:

I have been riding a Trek District with the belt drive for the past year as my commuter and refer to it as the BMW of townie bikes. I will be surprised if Mr Dottie does not love the nearly silent, clean drive.

7. Matthew Christian says:

8. Michael says:

I guessed Civia! I’m pretty obsessed with the Bryant, and have wanted one for two years – although I’ll have to build up a frame with chain drive (and parts from another bike) in the name of cost. I really like the well thought out design and clean lines of Civia’s bikes. Can’t wait to see how he fixes it up!

9. upnorthdoug says:

Belt Driven Civia Bryant….excellent choice. I also think Mr Dottie will love the buttery smooth and quiet belt drive. I’ve been riding a modified Surly Cross Check with a Gates Carbon Drive for almost a year. I love it. I’ll be upgrading the belt drive to the CenterTrack system as soon as I can get my hands on it. I don’t have Alan’s connections, so I’ve been a little slower at getting my hands on a CT.

Happy Weekend
    Doug@MnBicycleCommuter

10. Is Greg concerned about the belt drive in the winter? I really wanted to get one lat year and then read these horrendous reviews about slush getting trapped in the “teeth” and knocking the belt off its track. You must report back on how it handled after the first snow.

• upnorthdoug says:

Ashley Lottes

That happened to me. I had to switch to a chain drive for the duration of the winter. It happened on the first snowfall. Snow builds up in the fenders, falls down onto the rear sprocket, builds up on the “teeth” and sheds the belt right off the side. I’m hoping the new CenterTrack will work better with snow.

Doug@MnBicycleCommuter

11. surlycue says:

12. Mamavee says:

two days ago I was in full on summer dress. Today my new ibex wool three quarter sleeve dress and leggins and a scarf. I didn’t take a jacket but I should have. oh and my little fingerless gloves which could have had some fingers!

13. Mamavee says:

14. Congratulations on the new bike! I would love to try a belt drive, but on a classic bicycle. Someone should offer that option on a loop frame.

15. Congratulations on the new bike! I would love to try a belt drive, but on a classic bicycle. Someone should offer that option on a loop frame.

16. Laura says:

That’s too funny. A belt drive bike was going to be my next guess :) Awesome bike. Maybe you can get him to do a review of belt drives?

17. Laura says:

18. Inspiredcyclist says:

Wishing you many spectacular rides together!

19. Inspiredcyclist says:

Wishing you many spectacular rides together!

20. Joe Maki says:

Once you’ve gone belt, it’s hard to go back :) I just ordered my second beltdrive bike this year (Spot Acme). I’m just a little out of control :)

21. Joe Maki says:

22. Carolyn I. says:

I love his bike! I hope that belt drives become more common, I’ve heard lots about them. Maybe one day I’ll get one.

23. E A says:

I think the bike looks awesome as is… but that’s just me… and my preference for the “road style” bike. :-)

24. Michael says:

Is he going to use the Versa shifters/brake levers on the mustache bars? If so, I’d like to know how that works out. I don’t think many people have done that.

25. graciela. says:

I’ve been riding with the Nitto mustache bars for a year. I totally love ‘em! Hope Mr. Dottie enjoys them too.

26. this is one occasion when an architect can support the aesthetic judgements of an engineer. That Civia will look gorgeous with the improvements being proposed. My only concern is the natural hues of a Brooks saddle, and perhaps wooden fenders, will be fighting against those black cranks and black brake hoods. Perhaps all black new components?