Goodbye, Summer Crowds

Now that Labor Day is behind us, the crowds are starting to thin out on the Lakefront Trail. I’ve avoided the trail most of the summer because dodging hundreds (thousands?) of other trail users is not my idea of fun. I plan to take the trail much more often during the fall, when I can relax and enjoy the crowd-free and car-free goodness.

I have missed the beautiful view of Lake Michigan and the fresh air that comes off it. So far early fall has been perfect in Chicago – hopefully we’ll have at least two good months before winter begins.

In other news, a new bike joined my household today! The bike is Mr. Dottie’s, which is good because he loved to tease me about our 3-to-1 bike ownership ratio. I wonder if anyone can guess what kind of bike he bought. Hint: it’s not the same brand as any of mine.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Goodbye, Summer Crowds

1. Amy says:

Oh! Exciting! I’d take a guess, but I’m way too sleepy and am posing as a battlefield for kittens. :) Can’t wait to see his new ride!

2. I bet he went Surly. His personality tells me so ;)

3. surlycue says:

I bet he went Surly. His personality tells me so ;)

4. Jax+Puzzle says:

I’ll hazard a guess – perhaps Mr. Dottie selected a Surly?

Enjoy the trail! :-)

5. Kara says:

About time Mr. Dottie started to catch up!

• Trisha says:

I guess I shouldn’t spoil the game! Can’t wait to see it in person. Glad those yahoos have left you the trail for the fall. It really is a zoo in the summer!

6. Kara says:

About time Mr. Dottie started to catch up!

7. Lauren Dirgo says:

Did he get the Pilen?

I could also easily see Surly.

8. anniebikes says:

I’ve always enjoyed your lake shore photos. It makes me want to visit Chicago.

I was going to guess Surly, even before I read all the comments!

9. Trisha says:

10. upnorthdoug says:

It sure feels like Fall here today. I rode into work with a 37F degree temperature and 30 mph winds off the big lake. Should only get up to 50F this afternoon. There was a wonderful chill in the air this morning. I love Fall weather.

I don’t have a guess on Mr Dottie’s bike since I know so little about him. Sure can’t wait to find out what it is. A new bike in the house is always exciting.

MnBicycleCommuter

11. upnorthdoug says:

MnBicycleCommuter

12. Gordon Inkeles says:

I’d guess a Dutch bike, since you have actual Dutch bike dealers nearby.

13. Scott says:

Give us a hint on Mr Dottie’s bike, is it more sporty or for city riding? My guess is ANT.

14. elisa m says:

All City or Trek. Trek has those great commuter bikes now.

15. Michael says:

Civia? I really like their bikes.

16. Laura says:

I’d say a Civia Loring since you test rode one a while back and seemed to like it.

17. Inspiredcyclist says:

Enjoy the Lakefront now the crowd has thinned out! I must catch up on my blog reading to discover Mr. Dottie’s new bike…

18. Inspiredcyclist says: