Tights!

Yesterday I wore tights for the first time since May (according to the archives), as the temps dipped to the high 50′s and low 60′s. Trisha has mentioned the best thing about the summer/fall temperature change is the introduction of tights into the wardrobe and I totally agree.

I appreciate carefree summer dressing, but something about pulling on tights and a light jacket or sweater excites me. Fall has always been my favorite season, with its crisp air, blue skies and orange leaves. Definitely the best time for bicycling.

Who else is excited for fall?

P.S. Is this more relatable for the non-tight-wearing men out there? I love Yehuda Moon.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

34 thoughts on “Tights!

1. Anonymous says:

I to am very excited for the cooler weather. being able to ride to and from work without feeling like im in a sweatbox make the whole thing worthwhile.

2. Anonymous says:

Yay for tights! And crisp mornings! And soup season!

3. blisschick says:

Yay for tights! And crisp mornings! And soup season!

4. martha williams says:

I have two drawers of tights, but feel like I never have enough. More tights! I love fall, but hate the shorter days. So fewer opportunities to take photos.

5. Dominique says:

I Love Fall! Except I don’t really wear skirts…but I do wear tights under my pants in January/February (I’m in Canada).
    I love that outfit! Really nice bicycle too, a Gazelle?

6. Stephen Hodges says:

I like tights. Don’t wear them (ahem), but always enjoy seeing them worn.

I have other clothes I enjoy pulling out when the temps drop, like a small collection of really nice woolen scarves, a long wool city coat, black leather gloves, and all kinds of hats. I think that the sight of a well-dressed man on a city bike (sans Lycra) is a calming effect on traffic, and I enjoy playing that role. It’s probably a bit cognitively dissonant to most drivers in this provincial southern capital city, but I know that I’m having more fun than they are.

7. Dave says:

I’m honestly aching for the day when I’m a little bit chilly riding to work in the morning. We’re still having temps in the mid-90′s, and frankly, I’m ready to be done now.

I can’t wait until wool trousers, button-up shirt, sweater and blazer is the daily routine.

I like the longer days in the summer, but I’m more than willing to trade them in for being comfortable.

8. Dave says:

9. RobW says:

Definitely a great outfit in the photo… not a look I could pull off and live to tell about :-) Gotta love fall, not only the fashion change, but the leaves, all the wonderful colors…. may your tires not slide on them :-)

10. Kara says:

Thank you for verbalizing this. I totally agree that tights are one of the best things about fall. Just this morning I got so idea about the prospect of wearing my tights and boots again on my bike.

11. “for the first time since May (according to the archives)”

Ah the archives! One of the nice things about having a blog is that it allows us to browse your own posts and see what we were wearing or doing on such and such a date in case we forget! Can be truly useful at times : )

• LGRAB says:

I check my archives a lot, often for personal reasons. Like, when did I last do something or see someone or what date did I got to that play? Very helpful. :)

12. Zweiradler says:

I love spring and fall. No sweating and no freezing. :-)

Nico

13. Sam says:

I only got into wearing leggings last year and I had no idea I could look instantly super classy by wearing one item. I have to thank you both to the idea of wearing skirts on a bike (as well as the Bike Skirt ladies), the air conditioning effects are tremendously awesome.

14. Sam says:

15. Inspiredcyclist says:

Just yesterday, as I dressed in a skirt I lamented that my outfit would look so much better with tights, but it was in the 80s here in NY. Soon though!

16. Cathey says:

I’m so envious! I just checked the forecast for here in Dallas and we have three days of 100-104 days coming up. I’m so excited for fall! I can’t wait to wear tights and cut bangs in my hair again! (I had to grow them out – the heat on my forehead was unbearable in 110ยบ weather!). Not to mention soups, stews, and Frito pie! Although I’m sure that last one is a Texas thing; the first chilly day here is usually described as Frito Pie weather!
    Enjoy your lovely fall weather!

17. Amy says:

I actually had to break out the wool socks and a sweater for a ride home earlier this week. Yay fall!!!!

Also, those boots are fabulous.

18. Amy says:

Also, those boots are fabulous.

19. Misssarahchan says:

Still too soon for me!

20. Karen says:

Very excited about tights and tall boots! I am looking forward to the crisp air as well as my two favorite cozy sweaters and scarves.

21. ~Heather says:

Any good sources for decent wool tights? Since they are more costly than regular tights (rightly so), I’m wondering if anyone knows of a good brand that can be found online before I invest.

22. ~Heather says:

23. April says:

I wore tights for the first since spring and I agree it was lovely. Has anyone else noticed that static cling keeps your skirt from flying up like it does in the summer? Nice! As I was zooming down Higgins today I passed a lady on the sidewalk and I caught the words “…and in a skirt!” it made me laugh out loud. I had a big smile on my face the rest of the ride home. Dottie you look beautiful and chic in your fall attire! Thanks all the wonderful inspiration!!!

24. April says: