Happy Friday!

TGIF! It’s hard to believe that this is the last weekend of August already.

In order to enjoy the remaining days of summer as much as possible, yesterday I signed up for the Four Star Bike Tour on Sunday, which is an annual ride hosted by and benefiting the Active Transportation Alliance. In the past, I’ve volunteered at the ride, but never biked it myself.

There are four route options, 12/21/35/65 miles, and I plan to do the 35-mile route, which will be 50 miles of riding when I add in the trip from home and back. Sounds like a lovely way to see the city:

You’ll travel through many of the same Chicago neighborhoods as the Chicago Ramble, also riding through Bronzeville, Hyde Park, South Commons and the Near South Side. You’ll explore Garfield and Humboldt Parks before following Oakwood and Drexel Boulevards south to soak up the beautiful, historic Kenwood and Hyde Park neighborhoods. In Hyde Park, you’ll head east through the Midway Plaissance, and then continue south on Woodlawn to Jackson Park where you’ll pick up the Lakefront Trail for the return trip.

I’ll have to dig in the back of my closet to pull out my only cycling-specific outfit of padded shorts and jersey (wool, of course!).

Does anyone else have special bicycling weekend plans?

Tagged , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Happy Friday!

1. jjfantastic says:

Prepping my bike for the Kruger’s Kermesse on beautiful Sauvie Island on Sunday morning(http://www.portlandracing.com/kermesse/), and then once I’m recovered, I’ll hopefully take the boys out to the Southeast Portland Sunday Parkways. It’ll all be followed up by a bbq with my lovely cyclocross teammates, the Sweetpea Ladies Auxiliary.

2. San says:

I’ll be volunteering at our local bike coalition fundraiser, Bike the Bay. Then I’ll be riding to a local farm for farm fun and tomato picking goodness to be canned on Monday. Happy weekend all!

3. citybeagle says:

Sounds fun! Won’t be much biking here in NYC this weekend…

4. Kirstie Ratzer says:

Just found your blog and love it! I’m new to biking so I’m trying to read as much as I can on the topic. I was supposed to go on a night group ride on the towpath tomorrow night in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park but due to health problems I won’t be. I was also supposed to do Bike Aboard in the park where you can bike up and down the towpath and then pay only $3 to catch the train back to where you started.

5. ladyfleur says:

My friends and I are doing a charity ride for a local non-profit that offers counseling services for teens. It’s in honor of a girl who committed suicide after being bullied. We’re planning to do the 62 mile route that has 6400 ft of climbing, but we’ll see. That’s a lot of work. I will be riding my carbon road bike, not my Dutch bike, for obvious reasons.

6. Fixerman says:

Got permission from the wife to do some bike camping. Maybe mt. Baker or stevens pass area in the beautiful pacific northwest. Hoping my son will want to go also …… Then it will be 50 hour work weks till college starts at the end of September.

7. Van says:

Taking one of the Grandsons out to ride his first rail-to-trail.

8. Winifred says:

Took my 6 year old to her swimming lesson in the cargo bike. The hill home is always leaves me a bit breathless…

9. Winifred says:

10. Kevin Love says:

Here in Toronto, I’ll be taking my bicycle to the funeral of “Bicycle Jack” Layton. He was the leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, and a tireless fighter for ordinary people.

In my opinion, the best piece of memorial artwork is this one:

P1090661

11. Misssarahchan says:

Critical Lass for me tomorrow!

12. David says:

My girlfriend and I are riding up the Botanic Gardens in Skokie. Or else I’m last-minute volunteering to ‘help’ a friend in the cyclocross relay (never done it before!) in Jackson Park; we’ll ride down together, she’ll watch and laugh :)

13. Carolyn I. says:

I was tempted to do some bicycle camping, but instead I biked and geocached with friends. I’ve been away from home on a bike tour for a month, so it’s nice to hang around home.

14. Scott says:

I also dug out my cycling specific clothes this weekend to ride in the Chicago triathlon. I did not see another wool jersey among the 10,000 other participants.

Hopefully I can do the 4 star tour next year!

15. Jess Jess says:

My husband and I, along with our three year-old son, took a 17 mile guided tour of Detroit with Wheelhouse Detroit on Saturday. It was a beautiful way to see some of the nicest parts of the city, including the riverfront, Dequindre Cut, and Belle Isle. The theme of the tour was “Detroit History,” but the extremely knowledgeable guide also spoke a lot about some exciting projects in Detroit that are just about to get underway. After the tour we treated ourselves to Coney dogs, ice cream cones and rides on the carousel. It was an absolutely divine way to spend the afternoon!

16. E A says: