Lady Rivendells in the Wild

Although there are thousands of interesting bicycles in Chicago, I almost never see any bikes like mine – Rivendell, WorkCycles or Velorbis. In the past week, I had the good luck to spot two Rivendells and speak with their owners. As expected, women who ride Rivendells are super cool.

The first was Rachel. I locked my bike next to hers while stopping for an afternoon cupcake. I was admiring her Honjo fenders and Brooks saddle, but I did not realize it was a Rivendell until she came up and we started talking. Apparently, her frame was a prototype that combined two of their regular models…I think. Something like that. You can see that it says “Protovelo” on the front. Very interesting!

Rachel and her Rivendell

Two Rivendells

The second was Cara. As I biked down the Lakefront Trail on my Betty Foy in the morning, I spotted her and her Betty Foy. Of course, I had to come to a screeching halt to drool over the bike’s build. Check out the cream tires and leather wrapped bars. Mmmmm, lovely! Luckily, she knew of this blog, which helped me to not come off like a crazy stranger lady. Hopefully :)

Cara and her Rivendell Betty Foy

Beautiful Betty Foy

Spotting these lovely bikes (and bicyclists!) was a real treat. Fun to find some kindred spirits out there.

Betty Foy and Me

Does anyone else get excited when seeing a bike like their own in the wild?

Tagged , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Lady Rivendells in the Wild

1. Maven says:

Yes! I’ve only seen a few Civias around, even though it’s a local (Minneapolis) company, so it’s pretty exciting when I see a Hyland cruising the city. I’d love to see someone with different handlebars than mine so I could pick their brain about what works on this bike!

2. Zweiradler says:

How cool of the ladies to pose for a photo! :) Yes, I get excited, too. Unfortunately riding a bike is nothing special in Germany, so people would probably think you are some kind of stalker or freak if you show interest for their bike (except the “gearheads”, of course). I have to admit that I envy the US bike riders a bit for being able to start conversations or get in contact with strangers just by riding their bike around.

Nico

3. Sigrid says:

Yup. I drool over good design, bicycles and people with style included. :)

4. Donnarino says:

For some reason just this post’s pics are coming in wonky (squeezed narrow) for me in explorer.

• LGRAB says:

I wonder if refreshing your browser would help. I did not resize the photos before uploading them (should have, too lazy), so the website has to work to fit the photos into the space provided.

• LGRAB says:

5. Beany Counter says:

Always!

And yes, so cool of those ladies to pose for you. I have a horrible tendency to scare other cyclists, so I’ve learn to restrain myself and not get super excited when I meet other cyclists out in the wild.

6. Beany Counter says:

Always!

7. aem2 says:

I finally saw another Opus Nuovella the other day, but in a bike rack from afar. I’ll have to make go back one of these days and confirm it. Part of me was excited, but part of me was a little “Darn, now I’m not unique anymore.”

8. aem2 says:

9. Julie Hardee says:

NYC is becoming saturated with Linuses so I actually get more amped when I see versions of my old bicycle, the Schwinn Cream single speed. And I’m often sad when I find them rusty and seemingly neglected.

10. ladyfleur says:

Definitely! I have a red Viva Juliett that I bought at a local bike shop in February. Last weekend I saw one in my very own neighborhood–about five blocks from home! I turned around and chased the rider down so I could chat. She bought hers last year at the same shop and like me, she loves it too.

11. ladyfleur says:

12. maureen says:

Bike triplets! How cool is that! I think it’s great that you spotted the bikes, and had a chanced to chat with each lady, and then furthermore – share with us. Tx

13. Amy says:

I just get excited when I see any bicycles out there! Usually I’m all alone, then every once in awhile I’ll spot someone riding and then I’m all “OMG! Person on a bike! WOOT!” :)

14. Lauren Dirgo says:

Is that an internally geared hub on the Betty Foy?

15. GravelDoc says:

My comment is similar to Amy’s. I see very few other bike riders where I live and ride; living in a very rural area. You’re fortunate to be able to see these “gems” on a frequent basis. A few weeks ago, as I was riding to my office early one morning, I met a cyclist on a fully-loaded touring bike coming towards me. I was so caught by surprise all I could think to say was a hearty good morning. Actually, I think he was just as surprised to see me. I sure wish I would have pulled over and taken the time to visit with him about his tour. I hope you continue to make acquaintances like the one’s of which you write.

16. Anonymous says:

Gorgeous bike and skirt! Lovely, Cara!

17. A11ie says:

There are quite a few other cyclists out and about in London, but anytime I see a really pretty bike (my eye naturally tends to drift for a minute to people riding Pashleys before I realize its *my* bike I’m drooling over) I tend to stare a bit. I think I scared a girl in the park the other day as I rode past and checked out her bike. I think she thought I was checking her out. Oops.

18. Carolyn says:

I seen an identical Rocky Mountain when I visited my parents last year on Vancouver Island. There’s a lady that I’ve ridden with on the last two Tour De Jasper tours that rides a very similar Rocky Mountain that I have, but her’s is grey and has no shocks on the front. She’s changed the handlebars too, so they are not the same as mine. Her bike is on the left and mine is on the right.