Riding the Heat Wave

Temps are in the 90’s this week in Chicago – and many other places around the country.  Riding my bike did not feel much hotter than usual.  Maybe it helps that I recently spent a week in North Carolina, where it’s always 90 degrees.  And now when I feel hot, I can visualize myself back to the beach there.  :)

Seriously, I guess my one tip is to take it slow.  And drink water.  That’s two tips.

Stay cool, everyone!

Tagged , , ,

16 thoughts on “Riding the Heat Wave

1. Ash says:

I finally picked up a Nalgene water bottle (only mere years after ever living person in the world got theirs) and it’s been great for these super hot days. It has ounce measurements along the side so I know how much I’ve had by how many times I’m filling it throughout the day.

Rico has a scary situation this morning though. He blacked out on his bike on Madison so even if you think you’re tolerating the heat alright, just make sure to keep hydrated and not over do it.

2. Sigrid says:

It’s been a warm one! At a bicycle related picnic I attended on Sunday we were all simply standing and I think I saw more sweat than I see in my Bikram yoga classes! I love summer, but the humidity is INTENSE this week. I’ve posted before that riding bicycle in this weather is very much like Bikram – only I get to be outside and create a breeze for myself instead of waiting for someone to open the door. :) Stay ‘cool’, but most importantly stay safe out there!

3. RIch says:

Aw, we love Bogue Banks! My family and I vacation just down the road from Atlantic Beach, at Pine Knoll Shores.

And yeah, the heat… here in Upstate NY, my wife and I planned a small 30 mile overnight trip to a local lake. After 6 miles, ( 6 miles! ), the heat defeated us and we turned back. We felt like such wimps. :-)

4. dukiebiddle says:

Ack, they’re forecasting a high of 104F in Baltimore by Friday, and I just know that won’t be a dry heat. 104F and humid is definitely outside my coping zone.

5. Tia says:

I’ve definitely been a bit slower on bike than I normally am this week. Having a camelpak and being able to drink water pretty much the entire way on my commute seems to be making a pretty good stay on my discomfort, though by the time I get to work, my back is definitely too damp for comfort from sweat. ;_;

6. I like those tips! We can all use more water when we ride.

7. Cathey says:

I can’t lie – I’m envious of your temps. We’ve hit over 100 for 2 consecutive weeks with no end (or rain) in sight. We head out before 6:30 AM for rides every morning. Even leaving that early, we’re sweating like crazy in about 5 minutes. The heat is brutal. Water is definitely our friend!

8. martha says:

I found myself on the lake path near Lincoln Park today, and the fog was completely wild. I guess the cold water +hot air created it. A foggy packed beach is a surreal site. Did you ride past it Dottie?

9. Maureen says:

Try to take it slow and keep hydrated!

10. Sungsu says:

It got really warm today in Vancouver. It hit 68. I almost perspired on my ride.

11. Stephen says:

Odd that it’s hotter way farther north than here in Tallahassee. We had a high of 90 here on Monday with very blue, dry skies, and it felt great.

Drinking water is important, but so is finding shade, taking your time, and wearing sunscreen. Heat exhaustion is amazing easy to accomplish. Take it easy.

12. [...] I’ve mentioned before, Chicago summers can be brutally hot.  At least for a few weeks.  Long enough to make me miss [...]

13. spandex_speed_racer says:

Breathable quick-drying bike-specific clothing and a faster pace keep one cool. On very hot days I pity those wearing “normal” clothing while biking.

• LGRAB says:

That’s one option, but wearing normal clothes (for example, a sundress and sandals) while bicycling slowly also keeps one cool. Depends on the person’s needs and preferences for the day.

14. spandex_speed_racer says: